Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was feeling a bit down so as per usual for me, was thinking what new thing I can have a go at!

Been on a climbing wall a couple of times and always really enjoyed it, so figured now I'll give it a proper go. Always wanted to get into it.

So have booked myself on a 4 week intro course at Castle in London.
Anyone else on here into climbing or ever been to Castle climbing wall?

Starts this thursday, quite excited now! :D Although slightly worried about my pathetic lack of upper body strength! :crazy:

·
Punk, I was born ready
1,500 Posts
I've been a climbing instructor for about 3 years now, although haven't used the qualification in over a year now!
You'll love it, best hint i can give, keep yourself as close to the wall as possible, makes it easier if you have less upper body strength.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BennyCattrall said:
I've been a climbing instructor for about 3 years now, although haven't used the qualification in over a year now!
You'll love it, best hint i can give, keep yourself as close to the wall as possible, makes it easier if you have less upper body strength.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes!
Thanks for the tip! I've been on a wall a couple of times and loved it. I am very puney so sure you're tip will come in very handy!
Quite excited about it, bit nervous too but only cos I won't know anyone but guess no one else will too.
I'll give you an update on Friday as to how Thursday night goes!
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Can i ask how much the course costs? i've been thinking of taking a climbing course for a while now, but the only ones i could find were just one week holiday type affairs.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chrisanizbug said:
Can i ask how much the course costs? i've been thinking of taking a climbing course for a while now, but the only ones i could find were just one week holiday type affairs.
Its £99 for 4 x 2 hour sessions,
EVery Thursday evening for 4 weeks
Worth a punt!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Yep, climbed for about ten years now as a hobby and go away every year to France!

Used to do the trad climbing like the course you've enrolled yourself on.

Like the guy above said, upper body strength ain't so bad for trad climbing. Just keep close to the wall, realx and try and put all the weight on my legs.

Me know, I prefer to boulder as I climb on my own without ropes due to my friends all being instructors and working away!

You'll enjoy it so much, but god will you ache the next morning. :D

Have fun and let me know how you get on.

Scampi ;)

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,408 Posts
Used to a lot, follow the advice above and you'll be fine. My problem isn't upper body strength, it's more lower body weight.:D

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I've been climbing for about 5 years now, not that I ever seem to get the chance to do it nowadays! :(

I used to climb at the Castle 3-4 times a week when I lived in London, and used to teach bouldering there on an informal basis. Their facilities are top notch, the staff are realy helpful and there's a general good atmosphere there.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Climbing's cool!

I've been climbing since I was 16 and even moved to Portland from 'the mainland' for the climbing. If you take to it in a big way then you'll prob end up down my way at some point so get in touch yeah.

PS I'm also an instructor also should you want to do some more formal training / take your first steps at leading outdoors etc.

Enjoy! :hangloose

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got back from my first 2 hour lesson
Absolutely loved it! Everyone in the group was really nice, instructor was great and all in all, pretty ace!
Looking forward to next Thursday already!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Iain_M said:
Glad you enjoyed yourself :)
Just finished my 4 week course and have absolutely loved it!
Definitely going to keep going in the week.
Such a fun way to spend an evening and everyone at the centre is really nice.
Can highly recommend it... (to anyone not scared of heights!)
:)

G

·
Not so much a climber but I went up to Brimham Rocks today and had much fun watching the proper climbers with their ropes and also scrabbling around on the rocks.

The sudden change in weather to hot and sunny helped too :)

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Now you have done that I recommend you join a climbing club and get away for weekends to some climbing areas. Climbing is all about exposure and scaring yourself a little and them believing in yourself.

And you get a great body!!

I started when I was 8 and climbed for the next 25 years, it was my total focus, that show I started on VWs - you need something to move around Europe in!!

You will have some good days and some bad days - but you remember the good days - those days when it all clicks and you are invincible.

The best people I have ever been with are climbers - they have to be if you have 3 people in a two man tent for a week :) , you get serious friends when you know the person below or above has a hand in your life for the next few seconds.

Go to the Alps or somewhere similar for a few seasons - climbing big stuff abroad is the very best. After a few hard long climbs where maybe the outcome is not a given you do change and you do look at the world in a different and better way.

I gave up some years ago but still have a series of great people I meet up with in odd mountains and go walking high for a week or two. I also remember the people who did not come back - and think of their complete lives and how young they still look.

Don't stop now - go and find what you can do!!

Mike

·
Registered
21,089 Posts
as Jabbo said he has been climbing for years now and he is going to teach me belaying and knot tying so i can go in the lead room. its so going to go to his head that he is in charge and showing me how to do things :lol:

on the plus side i get a hot teacher that i can take home with me :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts