Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, what did you get and would you recommend it?

I'd love one, but would need to maintain central under car access, so would prefer to either lift by the wheels, or even better via traditional rubber padded arms.

Even if it just gets a car a two or three feet in the air.

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,545 Posts
A lift is very high on my list of things to buy for the garage. I was originally planning on a scissor lift (with arms) because I had restricted head room. When I last looked these were under a grand and had the bonus of being portable so could be used in the drive too.

I unexpectedly ended up building a new garage so I have taken the opportunity to have part of it open to the eaves to allow for a decent lift height, and I’m reasonably sure I’ll be going for one of these:

I’ve seen one in person, at a friend’s ‘proper’ garage where it is used daily. They say it can’t be faulted for the money. It’s a bit slow compared to more expensive ones but that’s not a problem for me.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,217 Posts
I didn’t buy it as it came with the house but I have a 2 post lift in my garage. I absolutely adore it. Best bit of kit in the garage and makes my life so much easier!

·
Premium Member
44,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - helpful.

This looks ideal as its not too to tall... https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/230sp-3-0t-capacity-short-2-post-lift/

I'm restricted by having a 8 foot ceiling, but even if its enough to get under a car and just sit cross legged, rather than roll around on my back, my cloths catching on everything, vision and light restricted, no room for bigger torque wrenches or breaker bars etc, etc, it'd be a massive help and from what I've seen, they look like they hold their second hand resale value well.

I guess the compromise is that they are a permanent feature which will then need to be worked around, as currently I still luxuriate in the ability to work on a car in a garage just wide enough to open both doors fully at the same time - a luxury that would then limit conventional access. Do you find this?

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
8,252 Posts
I don't even have one in the unit mate, let alone at the house!

I do have some drive on ramps that let me get the vehicle high enough to do most stuff though.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
I got mine from Liftech. It was £1200 supplied and installed and it runs off a normal 13amp plug.

It was absolutely, without any doubt at all, worth every single penny.

Jobs that were previously impossible are now easy, and even simple jobs like a brake pad swap now takes half the time and doesn't involved scrabbling round on a cold floor.

It's probably too tall for your application but they might do shorter ones

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
This thread just popped up as recommended reading - might be useful, Andy:

·
Premium Member
44,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't even have one in the unit mate, let alone at the house!

I do have some drive on ramps that let me get the vehicle high enough to do most stuff though.
I'm just not in the mood to struggle on a hard concrete floor with not enough room to see or do anything any more.

I'm not a fan of ramps as they require starting and stopping the car, burning the clutch, driving in and out the garage, back and forth etc which is fine for maintenance jobs, but less so for say a full suspension job all round, or removal of a full exhaust system, or other underneath work if the car is not running etc.

The ability to raise and lower a good height without having to start or move the car is what really appeals.

·
Premium Member
44,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This thread just popped up as recommended reading - might be useful, Andy:

Cheers.

My application is not air cooled VW and the ability to retain full central front to back clearance is essential.

So far those Quick Jacks look ideal, except Costco have no stock and the next nearest in cost is then plus VAT so need to do some shopping around.....

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,545 Posts
Cheers.

My application is not air cooled VW and the ability to retain full central front to back clearance is essential.

So far those Quick Jacks look ideal, except Costco have no stock and the next nearest in cost is then plus VAT so need to do some shopping around.....
I had the same height issues you have at my past place, and I am convinced these would have been the best solution for me. I like the idea that they aren’t permanent, are semi portable, can be used in the drive if you want to pressure wash underneath (or just work outside) and have no issues with drive on clearance.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Cheers.

Have you looked at the Costco website? They're showing on there with delivery within 8 days of the order. Maybe they've got a central warehouse for web orders with more stock or something?

·
Hot shoe
26,131 Posts
Just shy of 1600kg lifting capacity really isn't a lot... In fact the generic sedan in the advert is likely overweight 😂

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,545 Posts
To be fair, they do a version that's 3175kg capacity but that's £200 more.
I'd be getting the higher rated ones irrespective of the car I intended to lift - for that price increase it looks to be well worth it as there must be a decent increase in build quality for such a higher capacity.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2020
6,739 Posts
If I ever manage to extend my garage I shall incorporate an inspection pit.

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,545 Posts
If I ever manage to extend my garage I shall incorporate an inspection pit.
I grew up using a pit, but I think the disadvantages outweigh the benefits these days.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts