Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use AOL broadband? any good?
girlfriend needs to sort herself out a cheap broadband deal, and they are all similarly priced but AOL is unlimited for the same sort of money as ones that limit you to 2GB and you get free wireless box etc, the 1mb speed doesn't really matter too much she doesn't really need 8mb.
Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

:hangloose

·
snide twat
39,982 Posts
they are genuinly unlimited and the router you will get will be a decent netgear or speedtouch model (which you can keep) connection is good but the software is a pain unless you use the webmail option.

the call centers suck donkey cock though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spiny said:
they are genuinly unlimited and the router you will get will be a decent netgear or speedtouch model (which you can keep) connection is good but the software is a pain unless you use the webmail option.

the call centers suck donkey cock though.
Ahh call centers, generally customer service for all these type of things is shite though isn't it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plus I've heard bad things about AOL
?????? anyone with any bad experiences?

·
snide twat
39,982 Posts
ragtop59 said:
Plus I've heard bad things about AOL
?????? anyone with any bad experiences?
the software is clumsy and the callcenters rubbish, if you half half an idea how to use a computer you should be fine.

I'd still recommend someone like pipex though, even though it's more expensive, in the long run you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i always have probs with my aol randomly stop working and no web sites will appear until i sign off then on again but apart from that they are ok

·
Registered
982 Posts
DON'T DO IT serious they are crap crap crap crap we get disconnected all the time thewhen we answer the phone or make a call it disconnects and the help line is a bag of poo :)

·
snide twat
39,982 Posts
aps-and-bloo said:
DON'T DO IT serious they are crap crap crap crap we get disconnected all the time thewhen we answer the phone or make a call it disconnects and the help line is a bag of poo :)
sounds like your filters are screwed.

·
Registered
466 Posts
aps-and-bloo said:
Check you have put a filter on the master phone socket ( the master is the first socket that is connected to the incoming BT line from outside).

If this does not help, place your AOL modem directly via the filter on to your master point then try it.

If you have run more than 2 extension points from this master socket you will get issues.....

Hope this helps. :coffeecup

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I use AOL slowband and have used it for the last 7 years with no problems or disconnections (compooter thicky) looking at changing to Broadband myself..... :incheek:

SYNCS

·
Registered
982 Posts
BlowMonkey said:
Check you have put a filter on the master phone socket ( the master is the first socket that is connected to the incoming BT line from outside).

If this does not help, place your AOL modem directly via the filter on to your master point then try it.

If you have run more than 2 extension points from this master socket you will get issues.....

Hope this helps. :coffeecup
We have tried all that we even had a computer bloke come out to set it up for us. We can't put the Aol modem direct into the master point because when they built these house 2 years ago they decide to put the phone socket next to the front door and the pc is in the living room. We are going to Talk talk for broadband when we move house anyway so hopefully that will solve the problem, we also have wifi but need to buy a card to go into the pc.

Thanks for the advice though :)

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
have just left aol due to the 25 per month charge on a 2meg unlimited deal
am currently with virgin 18 per month up to 8 meg this is normaly 3.9-4.3 in the real world no contract and no issues.
its fine for me it does have limits but i never use that much net time volume.
ps i use it as a stop gap to save me 7per month untill i find a better deal but this normaly involves a 12month contract.

·
Registered
853 Posts
aps-and-bloo said:
Couldn't agree more - it is total rubbish with a very poor and expensive foreign call centre. Keeps dropping the connection and very slow speed in the evening. BT have checked the line and moved the master socket to the PC (cost £106) - new filters - even a new PC with no difference at all.

My daughter just down the road had the same probs with aol and changed to virgin who have a much better helpline and her probs were solved in a week. Virgin is twice as fast as aol after the helpline got involved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts