Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a cheap (£40) arc welder last summer from machine mart, but not yet used it. I was wondering if it was suitable for repairing bodywork on my beetle, i.e. repairing the holes in the bottom of the doors? Or is it too crude?

Cheers,

Matt.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi mate,
been a welder for 20 years, your right it is a bit crude for what you want to do, and not really good for bodywork, the panels are a bit thin for arc welding.
you really need a mig welder, anything over 100amp will do a good job and leave something in reserve if you have larger jobs to do.
mig welding gives less distortion than other welding proceses so ideal for bodywork.
hope this helps mate.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not really the right tool for the job! A MIG's what you need!
You'll probably end up puttin more holes in the thin sheet steel, than you fill with an arc! :hangloose

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
mig every day and twice on sundays 130-50 will cover most needs and argon shield gas
for less splatter

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thankyou for the quick replies, I will save up for one of these. Will it be ok on a single 13amp supply?
Cheers,
Mat.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah thats good, I will start looking for mig's on ebay, I want to get the right gear before I start trying to restore my beetle, as the wrong tools just kill time. I have a dented wing that I am replacing, that I plan to practice on too.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
if yu need any help give me a shout dude ill give yu some tips yu will soon pick it up
just be ready for fires starting if your welding near underseal or definetly wax oil i would have extingwisher at the ready for reasurance

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thankyou, thats super, I may well take you up on that. I plan to remove the panels from the car first. Good thought though about the fire risk, I will put one up at the side of the garage, just in case.

Cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts