Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,492 Posts
ragged1100 said:

:hangloose
i had the sedan version of that; a 2.2 litre 5 cylinder - was the dogs bollocks....

that car would climb anything you threw at it, and was reasonably good on fuel, as long as you did not floor it!!! but the grin, oh the grin...!!!! :D :D

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
the one like 1302 had is one of, if not the only (not sure), VWs to have the engine mounted lengthways (like most Audis)

doesn't make much odds to anything... but the nose may be a bit longer than you're used to if you've been used to aircooleds and Golfs etc...

Octavia estate is a another good choice used... externally a good bit smaller than Passat... and about the best value in the VAG range

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
well.....passats..........

i've owned nearly every version of every model from 1978 till 1999.....i can honestly say i've never had a bad one :)

the best one.....vr6 exclusiv estate...1995.

you won't go far wrong with a diesel estate of any vintage imho....would make a cracking family car.......

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
passats rule!! (ask passatman!!) great cars and you can pick them up fairly cheap too

there is a passat appreciation thread in the h2o section, check it out for inspiration :hangloose

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
The mrs has a tdi sport estate as her daily.
Boot space is not good with a saloon if you have pushchairs. A mate looked at getting one but found their buggy wouldn't fit in the boot.
tdi's are good. Ours averaged 45 mpg round town and 50 on a run (could probably get more but she has a lead foot). We've had it nearly a year now done about 15k and apart from servicing it's needed a cv joint but that's all.

·
Watercooled, and warm!
10,277 Posts
Weve had two a '95 2litre GL and a 2001 1.8 20v turbo, both are/were great cars spot on reliability, good handling and ride, very comfy and good on fuel,cant fault them.

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
skoobadude said:
Just my two cents but I thought my G reg Passat Estate was a shit family car - the rear doors were too small and the roof line too low - getting baby seats in was a headache and getting the littlies in and out gave me killer backache. The boot was also crappy small for a "big" car, rubbish for buggies and other baby gear.

It ain't VAG but my 1993 TD Espace is the best "baby" car I've had - sorry.
mmmmm.....small boot?......not sure which passat you had, but i've had loads in my estates....they're well known for their lugging ability...second only to volvo and maybe 405 pug.

back doors aren't any worse than any other similar kind, and rear legroom upto '96 is unbeatable.

i do have an espace aswell, i see what you mean about kids and lifting in and out....but it's a diferent kind of car altogether.....and i know which i'd rather have........it's not french and it doesnt rattle :D

get a passat!!!!!....

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
skoobadude said:
Just my two cents but I thought my G reg Passat Estate was a shit family car - the rear doors were too small and the roof line too low - getting baby seats in was a headache and getting the littlies in and out gave me killer backache. The boot was also crappy small for a "big" car, rubbish for buggies and other baby gear.

It ain't VAG but my 1993 TD Espace is the best "baby" car I've had - sorry.
What?? I had a 1991 Passat Estate (VR6)...it was huge...dont think i've been in a normal car with more legroom in it...got a wardrobe in the thing with the back seats folded down. I honestly cannot see how you couldnt get a buggy in the boot :eek:

Ok its not an MPV so doesnt have a high roof, but I didnt have to worry about electrical problems and it rolling over if I had to corner hard!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts