Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas? Im getting conflicting info from everyone I ask!

A friend of mine has just purchased a shiney new MIG and we want to set about welding...never done it before but have a fair idea of what to do and plenty of guides to follow and plenty of scrap to learn with.

My problem is that im not sure whether to go for Argon/Co2 mix or just Co2 to start out with as everyone seems to have there own preference/opinions.

So can anyone tell me the main differences...websites all seem to favour Argoshield? for a cleaner weld?

Cheers

·
Registered
919 Posts
leave the Co2 to pushing your beer into your pint in the pub, thats where it belongs.
go for argoshield, it will make your welding learning a lot easier.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ozzy67uk said:
leave the Co2 to pushing your beer into your pint in the pub, thats where it belongs.
go for argoshield, it will make your welding learning a lot easier.
Cheers for that...that seems to make more sense to me.

How much will i be looking at for registering and renting a bottle?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Phone BOC and ask them ........ 0800 111 333

The gas you will want from them is ARGOSHIELD LIGHT.

You will also need a regulator and a hose to go from the regulator to the welding machine.

You pay for the rental of the canister, and you pay each time you get it filled.

BOC offer argoshirld light in different sizes of bottle.

I couldn;t find prices on the BOC website, but on a different forum, someone had posted these prices :
BOC (Argoshield light):
X size cylinder: £51.76/yr rental, £28.14 refill, £12.16 transaction charge.
Y size cylinder: £66.09/yr rental, £37.48 refill. (inc VAT)

...and someone else said that :
BOC contract is £42.59 per year, and £37 per refill of their smallest bottle. The bottle is 2.1m cubed, which the guy said is equivalent to 45-50 of the disposable bottles. I've never used that much in a year, so that would be the size for me.

If you want Co2, the rental is about the same, but it is much cheaper to have it filled up (about £20 I think)..... you will still need a regulator............ and, no, you cannot use the same regulator for Argoshield light and Co2, for some reason.

.much much much better than buying those tiny bottles from Halforrd at £8 a go or whatever they are..........

·
Registered
231 Posts
CO2 can be very very cheap but unless you are doing only a small amount of non cosmetic welds then its not worth the trouble.
It will make learning to weld much more difficult.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers dudes :D

Any idea what regulator I will require for Argoshield? I have one but how do I know if its the correct one?

I presumed that they were just different sized regulators for different sized bottles ? is this not the case then?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Space Ghost said:
Phone BOC and ask them ........ 0800 111 333

The gas you will want from them is ARGOSHIELD LIGHT.

QUOTE]

Well done Space Ghost, you saved me the trouble of writing it all out.

Total agreement

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Dr_Wolfsburg said:
Cheers dudes :D

Any idea what regulator I will require for Argoshield? I have one but how do I know if its the correct one?

I presumed that they were just different sized regulators for different sized bottles ? is this not the case then?
The regulator you have with the machine should be OK (unlesss its for thpose stupid little bottles)

However they are not top quality and they tend to fail fairly quickly, often because they do not mate particularly well with the bottles. (Despite this my one lasted 5 years)

Alternatively, get a decent regulator from BOC (Last one I bought was somewhere between £70 -£100)

I use BOC Crawley and they are very good on advice.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
:) thanks saved me asking,as i've just got my 1st mig :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts