Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what relief valve I should be using and what length the spring should be? It seems OK but I'd like to double check :)

Ta

·
Registered
15,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
The "AS" number refers to the composition of the alloy that the case is cast from. Different ratios of aluminium and magnesium mainly. Some folk reckon one type is slightly tougher than the other but in the real world both types of case seem to get trashed by high revs pretty much the same.

Dave.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
There was a hoo ha about these cases, but they are easy to use. A little machining on the cooler seal holes, to fit the twin port cooler and even a long drill down the (looking from the side) left hand feed hole. I have a 10 year old, 135bhp engine running on one of these cases. No probs.

·
Registered
15,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was a hoo ha about these cases, but they are easy to use. A little machining on the cooler seal holes, to fit the twin port cooler and even a long drill down the (looking from the side) left hand feed hole. I have a 10 year old, 135bhp engine running on one of these cases. No probs.
Cheers, I wasn't worried about using it :D I guess it's just a standard single relief spring and valve then?

When you say the seal holes, you mean the bit that locates the seal? If so I don't think it's a problem as I'm using a fibre gasket :) and you mean the feed hole of the cooler?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I'd ditch the fibre gasket and use late cooler seals. If you offer the fibre gasket up to the case, you may see that there isn't much meat around it and the adapter you want to use has the indents for the late cooler seals.

·
Registered
15,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers, I might open the cooler holes up a bit as they do look small compared to another case I've got. Is that the only place the galleries are smaller, the hole leading from the pump looks quite small (but I'm full flowed anyway so it's not in use) and other than that everything looks pretty substanstial :)

Shame that my case is all cleaned out ready for assembly and now I'll be filling it with swarf! A trip to the jet wash I think!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Sorry to jump on this thread but I have a question(s) for these AS41 Single relief cases. I have one of these fitted in my T2 and is was built by Laurie (Mucky Green) a fair while ago (before I bought the bus) I am having issues with high temps and lowish pressure and have my timing set as good as it can be. I am using a good 20/50 oil but still have the issues. I am going to change the relief spring and piston to see if that improves any.

My question is, is the replacement spring the same length as a dual relief spring? Is it advisable to use a slightly heavier weight oil in these cases due to the single relief?

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Not really. The springs can either be the shorter single relief one with the lolng, grooved plunger or the long one with the short plunger. As I don't really know what engine you are talking about, I'd need to know if it was full flowed, capacity etc.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Hi Laurie

All I know is I have a receipt for a stock 1600 longblock supplied by you. Not fully flowed. I have only noticed the single relief and reading this thread just sparked my interest.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Oh yeah and I have removed the piston just to see if it was sticking but never took much notice of the spring length. The piston kind of was sticking at the top of its chamber like there was some sort of lip at the top it was catching on but did come out. Non grooved by the way.

·
Registered
15,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry but after all this I'm still not sure which spring a plunger to use!

Is it the normal single relief type, which I think is groved with a chamfer on the bottom of the groove??

And how long should the spring be?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts