Volkszone Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

Registered
August 67 Karmann cabrio beetle.
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The replacement metal was also treated internally with epoxy and all mating surfaces with weld through primer before being clamped into position.

A few more clamps and looking good. Getting the top butt joint aligned without any clamps gave us confidence that we had a nice fit. A few tack welds will be added, then the inner arch section can also be trial fitted before anything is made too permanent.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
More metal going in - new inner arch with original body mount section (including shock bolt hole and z-bar mount).

As anyone who has done this kind of repair will know, it takes a lot of gradual tacking and moving and checking, more tacking, more checking, to get right.

Getting the panels naturally sitting correctly before welding was our aim rather than pulling into position with a clamp then welding.
This meant having the rear quarter, wing/fender mount, body mount, luggage floor, etc. positioned, shaped, and working nicely together with a minimum of clamps needed before any tacks went in.

Still a long way to go, but so far, so good.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
One of the genuine wings lightly bolted in place to ensure a good fit. Best to check now than remork later. As before, not having to
pull the wing into position with the bolts but getting a good natural alignment was the goal. All bolts did go in at some point, but not when
these pictures were taken.

Bumper mount panel (minus bumper mount) also getting checked and clamped into position.

More welding, more checking, more welding, etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Same again on the RHS, although a much smaller amount of replacement metal was required to get straight and solid.

The rear end is also starting to come together. Eying up the bumper mount panel and Autocraft rear valance.

Going to take a bit of a break from the work on the rear for now, as we really want the engine ready first. We're wanting to check clearances are all good with that before going too far and needing to change bits again.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Looking good, great progress :cool:
Great work,thinking I should have got bigger rear quarter repair panels now.
Thank you.

On a lot of this rebuild/resto we're using bigger panels than strictly required in many areas. We're hoping for minimal filler at paint, so seemed the best option, especially considering some of this is accident damage rather than rust.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Excellent stuff. Nice to see workmanship of this standard. 馃憤
Thank you. I only want to do this once, so really want it done right this time.

---------------------------------------------

Before making our way onto the front end, we thought now was a good time to get the doors back on and see the bigger picture with alignment.

These are the best door gaps this car has had in the 23 years I've owned it. Must admit, we're all both relieved and very pleased with how it's looking.

So satisfying!!! No seals in place hence the light action, but it's hard to describe how happy this made us, especially considering
the drastic action we took to try and get here. To some, this is just a door closing, but to me it was a pretty major milestone.

Must admit, we did spend a while just opening and closing the doors.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I know I said we'd move onto the front end next, but we decided the luggage tray could was welded in a bit more permanently at this point. A little metal bumping was required to get the shape closer to what it should be.
A quick shot of primer and that's it here for now, honest!

These supports on the base of the b-posts were also finished off.

Registered
Looking good. Where did you get the boot floor panel, it looks like the pressing is very similar to the original VW firewall bit?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Looking good. Where did you get the boot floor panel, it looks like the pressing is very similar to the original VW firewall bit?
It's the SSP panel. I've found their quality of pressing and thickness of metal to be closer to original than most other peoples. This is the one Complete Boot Floor: 113813111BH | Heritage Parts Centre UK
We only used the floor part if you look though, the firewall is the original as it was still good. Fitting the firewall part as well would have required a fair bit of extra work to fit (on a cabrio it interferes with the hinge panel sections and body bow panel in the engine bay), and although some of the work is pretty extreme, we didn't feel that was necessary..

Items 2 and 9 below are the interfering bits we didn't want to mess with on the firewall, especially as it wasn't needed (just a couple of bolt holes to weld up).
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car Font

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thank you both.

We originally chose the left side large quarter to get rid of accident damage, but were so much happier with the panel than any of the smaller offerings we decided to do the same on the right. I see so many repairs where multiple small patches go in (and sometimes that's the best option), but a larger panel is sometimes much easier to get a good result.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Happy with the dry fit, everything was marked, a few location holes drilled for clamp pins, and removed again. While the panels were off getting prepped and primed the heater ducts in the front quarters were fitted. Much easier to do this now than later (admittedly the slimmer pipes will be coming out again for paint, but they're not so bad). You can see why these are such a pain normally on a complete car.

I also managed to track down a jack clamp, so that was cleaned up ready to be fitted.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I spent some time today rebuilding a 68 only speedo to go in the car (replacing the wrong, later one that was in it). I could have matched the odometer reading, but thought (as the swap will be recorded anyway) it would be nice to start at zero again after such a major rebuild.

Here's the finished result. You can see the full rebuild HERE

21 - 40 of 78 Posts