· Registered
11,467 Posts

· Registered
4,145 Posts

· Registered
August 67 Karmann cabrio beetle.
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Thanks for the suggestions on the rubber snubbers. Looks like there's plenty of options available in sizes and durometers to get the balance of support and noise just right with a bit of trial and error.

--------------------------------------------------

The long, slow job of gradually completing the welds and then hammering/smoothing them is close to done on the rear quarters.

A black guide coat was sprayed on just to give some protection and to see how it was going. It's not perfect, but bearing in mind there is no filler at all in this, we're pleased with the progress so far.

The early bumper mounts have also been removed ready for the correct ones to go on.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
We got the correct bumper mounts fitted then the wings bolted back on. We marked a few areas we weren't 100% happy with for a bit more dolly work, re-worked them, touched up the paint and feel it's looking better.
We also fitted the roof cable channel at this point.

The heavy SSP stainless steel bumper fits like a dream - no tweaking or fiddling required, and shouldn't rust at the 1st sign of humidity either. These weigh at least double that of most repros (close to originals), so well worth the extra if your anywhere with less than perfect dry climate. The bumper brackets also lined up nicely in the middle of the bumper slots.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Lots of good progress made.

We got the new beam together and fitted, my gearbox in, and progressing well with the dry fit.
The front wheels now sit just right in my opinion. Personally, i'm not a fan of the super tucked look, skinny or super low profile tyres, or the ride/handling that any of them give you. For me, this works.

The green front wing has a very slight flair on the rear lower edge that needs to be sorted.

One thing that's been bugging us is that the fuel filler flap just doesn't sit right on the new front quarter, so that's going to get some work. I don't know if it's the new panel or the '68 only flap, but it just doesn't look right.
We did keep that section from the original front quarter, so that may be getting let in if we can't make the existing metal look/fit how we want it.

Now that I've refurbished the jack, we might as well re-fit the bracket to hold it (forgot when doing the rest of the front end, so put it here to remind us).

Happy with that, the wheels are now coming off for a refurb. I've got a few other wheels I can use in the meantime if I need to move the car.

· Registered
133 Posts
On my 1303 the new front quarter filler hole didn’t fit the original filler flap either.
The bowl were welded in all wrong and the edges around it had a way to soft a stamping – radius-.
Ended up cutting out the bowl and beat he surrounding some more in place.

If I have had the old front quarter. I would rather have repaired this part and welded it in the new quarter, but as I bought a abandoned project, I didn’t had the old parts!

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Yep, I think it's best if we use the original metal for the filler flap area as the new panel just isn't right. I'm glad we kept all the bits we cut off "just in case".

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
A while ago I stripped all the side glass from the frames, cleaned and polished the glass to get rid of minor scratches from age. It's all original VW marked, so that's nice.

The metalwork was also thoroughly cleaned and re- polished. It's not perfect, but certainly not bad enough to justify replacing or re-plating. I hadn't realised before, but this is chrome on brass for those who didn't know. The only bits of metalwork replaced were the rear lifter channels as they were looking a little ragged.

I've just finished fitting fresh rubbers, felt, etc throughout. Not an easy job but it had to be done.

Did I say fitting the seals wasn't an easy job (especially the quarter lights)!!!

Mentioning the quarter lights, the keen eyed amongst you may have noticed that these are the pre 67 windows and catches. Replaced or because this was so early for a 68 (1st week of August 67)? No idea, but I prefer them anyway so I'm definitely not changing them.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Getting close.

We've got the windows in and roof woodwork being sorted as part of the final checks before being stripped for paint. Door seals are also being dry fitted at this stage to compress them a little and triple check the door gaps/alignment.

Not quite the look I had in mind, but couldn't help being reminded of....

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
We decided it was time for one last (OK, two more) photos before stripping for paint. Currently sitting on a pair of 4.5j Fuchs on the front with 145s and Porsche space saver rears just to keep it easy to roll, we rolled it out into the sunshine.

You can also see where the original fuel filler area has been let into the front quarter to replace the poorly shaped area on the new panel - now it looks and fits right.

The '54 oval isn't mine unfortunately.

· Registered
4,313 Posts
Whoever owns the oval, get them to check the alignment of the horn grill cut outs on the front wings. If they are from BBT there has been an issue or two with quality control….

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Dry fitting the roof and seals is a great idea. I really wish I'd done that with mine.
We just didn't want to take the chance on a freshly painted shell, so we ended up with close to a full dry fit to be sure. Much less work now if anything needed adjustment (as a few bits did, like always seems to be the case).

Anyway, another big step.

The body, for the 1st time since starting its reconstruction, is back off the pan. It all looks and feels good (the door gaps didn't appear to change) and is now on a dolly ready to go off for soda blasting again to be stripped, ready for paint. Once blasted, it's getting delivered straight to the local paint shop for final prep and paint.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I’m in awe of how much you’ve achieved in such a short amount of time, again well done 👍
Thank you, it's not been as easy as it looks.

The floor pan has been stripped, re-blasted, acid treated, etch primed, seam sealed, chassis black epoxy, and finally the underside in raptor truck bed liner. The inside has also been treated with anti- rust cavity treatment. Hopefully that should last!

.....and yes, I spotted in the pictures that we forgot to bend up the brake hose tabs at the front. Never mind. If that's the biggest problem we have left to deal with I'll be happy with any touch up required.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts