Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just spent the weekend in Poland and Auschwitz is probably the most humbling thing I have ever experienced, and Although it's not something one recomends, due to the meaning/history, it is certainly a place you need to visit if you ever need to put life into context.

For all the wrong that happens in the world, nothing can justify what happened in those camps... Sorry to put a dampner on peoples day but just felt compelled to share the experience...

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
if you have teleport replay on cable then watch the story about auschwitz on there about how the usa and the uk knew it was there for years from survelance pics etc and all that its a sad sad affair to think that one human can do that to another YET WE STILL HAVE NAZIS IN THIS WORLD AND PEOPLE WHO IDOLIZE THEM :mad: :(

·
Registered
12,325 Posts
littco said:
I've just spent the weekend in Poland and Auschwitz is probably the most humbling thing I have ever experienced, and Although it's not something one recomends, due to the meaning/history, it is certainly a place you need to visit if you ever need to put life into context.

For all the wrong that happens in the world, nothing can justify what happened in those camps... Sorry to put a dampner on peoples day but just felt compelled to share the experience...
couldnt agree more,

Auschwitz its self didn't upset me too much as from the exterior it looks like a boarding school

The quantity of specticles, human hair, shoes etc where what got me

Birkenau

was another thing altogether those chimneys standing alone in the field just demonstrate the scale and horror of the place,

I lost a fair few of my family in concentration camps and i dont think people are reminded enough of the horrors humans can so easily perform on each other under the guise of delegation from above.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Me my family and friends were in Poland last january.

We made a point of going to see both sites.

It was quite a sight to see and it was especially eary as there had been a lot of snow at that time it made the features of the fences etc stand out more.

Horrible place but very interesting.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I agree with England to Everest its the amount of human hair specticles and belongings that put the place in to context. Simply terrifying

·
I see 'dub' people!!!
6,640 Posts
Ive made a promise to myself to go one day on a pilgramige, me being of direct Polish descent.

Went to Warsaw last year for a weekend and made a point of going to the ghetto in the old town......one building remains as a reminder, riddled with bullet holes and missing parts of walls from shell attacks....this was the place where the Polish Jews made the last stand.....as littco said, very humbling.

j :hangloose

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I used to go out with a girl from South Wales and her Dad was there after the allies liberated the camps, he was only 16 and had a nervous breakdown after being put on night guard duty looking after 20 foot high piles of decaying corpses, he said they used to groan as the weight of the bodies on top crushed the air out of the lungs of the bodies underneath..................................nasty.:(
Edit, sorry, it was Belsen (spell?) sorry, bad just the same though.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
England To Everest said:
couldnt agree more,

i dont think people are reminded enough of the horrors humans can so easily perform on each other under the guise of delegation from above.
Pleased to say that we ran a school trip there this year. (Ordinary 'bog standard' Comprehensive).
We will repeat this as we think its very important.

Its very difficult to express how the kids felt, but they were clearly stunned and moved. They will never forget what they have seen!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
never been to the camps in Poland but went to the trenches in Beligm and was very humble by it .

will

·
Registered
12,325 Posts
Crisis? What crisis? said:
Pleased to say that we ran a school trip there this year. (Ordinary 'bog standard' Comprehensive).
We will repeat this as we think its very important.

Its very difficult to express how the kids felt, but they were clearly stunned and moved. They will never forget what they have seen!
SPOT ON, I went as a school kid on a scout trip in 2000, Glad to see other schools taking people to places that make you trully think :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree that it is the most haunting place I've ever been. Went 12 years ago and the thought of the place still upsets me. Definately a place that teaches about the worst side of humanity. What made it worse was some of the people comming off coaches on day trips (yoy know, 12 day tour of Europe) just wandering about and acting as though they were at disneyland.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts