Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a work colleague mentioned an article in one of the sunday rags that said dont put your money in stocks and shares - put it in autographs, because they have risen in value by hundreds of percent recently.

where and when did the concept of collecting someone's signature originate ?.......and why ?

by the way - about 10 years ago, her partner started writing to "famous" people including birthday cards with his letter, asking them to wish her a happy birthday

the amount of replies she has is amazing - probably over 400 genuine signatures, including the likes of the dalai lama, prince rainier of monaco, eric clapton, neil armstrong......

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Like anything Adi they go up and down in price.

I have a A4 sized pic of Jenson Button which I had hand signed by the man himself some 4 years ago, not worth much atm BUT if he ever wins a World Championship then it will rocket in value.

Good idea though to write to people & try get autographs, some are worthless some are or will be worth a mint in the future, especially if they are signed photos ;)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Ooh - so my collection of signed Arsenal footballs may be worth something in the end then :)

The 1989 - Liverpool 0 - Arsenal 2 league winners team...
The 1991 Double winners team...
plus about another 4 or 5 others!

Always so good when your dad is mates with the assistant manager ;)

TBH though - they mean more to me than money so I'll not be looking to cash in :)

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
two of my personal favourites from her collection are from rik mayal and ade edmondson

her partner always tries to choose a card to represent either the person - if its a sportsman, it'll be feature their sport - if they're an actor, it'll represent a character they've played.

for rik and ade, he sent identical cards - showing a cartoon arse with a little puff of wind and "parp" drawn on.

rik signed his along the lines of "oooo - i think you should leave him and come away with me" but laid on really thick and smarmy

ade signed his "merry fucking birthday"

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
theyre much more valuable if its just the name and nothing personal- (less people would be interested in something signed To 'dave')

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i collect signed Movie posters

star wars - the complete 6 films
godfather tril
goodfella's
Gone in 60 secs

all signed by the stars and directors etc etc

worth a bob or 2 aswell ;)

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
JodieC said:
theyre much more valuable if its just the name and nothing personal- (less people would be interested in something signed To 'dave')
I'll not bother saving my Xmas cards this year then. :incheek:

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brian Burrows said:
I've got the Queen's . . . on a Christmas Card

True! ;)

:D
not a birthday card then :crazy: :incheek:

i kind of understand the fact that they're valuable to collectors - just like anything else - but what started the "craze" off in the first place ? who first thought "ooo - they're famous - i'll get them to sign their name"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts