Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I really must get out more
6,153 Posts
as he said, and they're great fun. especially one built on a pre '60 pan/body. :D

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Open to interpretation probably. Original pronounciation or the Anglicised version are both fine I reckon.

A bit like saying 'Reno' or 'Renult' for Renault. :)

·
Saddest VZi'er 2019
6,771 Posts
It comes from the Baja desert in Southern California, and is a Spanishy sounding name - the Mexicans must have named it or something.
As for the pronunciation, the pedantic amongst us would do that nasty 'hocking one up' spitting noise in the throat on the 'j' sound, like when Spaniards say 'Julio Englesias' or something. Lazy English speakers have gradually just turned it into a 'h' sound.
However you say it, it's the same car.
But don't pronounce it like 'badger', or you'd look a bit daft! :D

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
the amount of times i have been told of a badger or barger bug I Don't want to recall! I was going to type more but you get the picture! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
We don't need no stinking bajas should have been spelt badges, check out the Good Bad and Ugly films, the line is in one of them.

·
Registered
13,136 Posts
Baja

"Baha"

"Ba Ja"

"Badger"

right glad we cleared that up :incheek:

·
Registered
273 Posts
As above - I had one of them in my garden just now...

Hmmm.... "j" actually means "h"

My name must be pronounced Hhonny! :incheek:

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
oi, you no take micky out of Spanish speakers :tick: I'll be after you with my castanets!

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
Ok you lot this is the real reason

It comes from Baja California
The very long dangly bit at the bottom of California - which is in Mexicon now

Baja means lower - so Lower California is the translation.

You can pronounce it however you like - but if you say bagha (the Spahish jota is difficult to reproduce in English) you will be right.

·
Registered
273 Posts
krissy said:
oi, you no take micky out of Spanish speakers :tick: I'll be after you with my castanets!
OK....... I suppose Catalan isnt really true Spanish, but im stuck with it! :incheek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts