1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car - '72 1300 beetle with adj. beam

Problem - split ball joints - need replacing

Problem - i dunno how to do it, or where to take them

Can i just take the car to a garage and have them remove and press in the new ball joints i've got.. or do i have to remove the trailing arms first, cos i hate doing it :eek:

Cheers guys

Matty :elvis:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh i think it needs a track rod end replacing too, how, or where?

Oh and any idea of prices would be great too..?

·
Somewhere else...........
3,418 Posts
Tie rod ends a doddle........they just screw in and out.

Ball joints are a different story, the arms will have to be taken out to press them in an out. When i did mine, I bought the ball joints loose & rang round a couple of local engineerng shops with presses - one did all 4 for £30 cash.

I would start there.

Howvere, I think i have seen cool air advertising that they do a set of complete arms with new ball joints fitted for £120 ish (Exchange).....easier to fit but costly considering a single ball joint is about £5-8

All the best anyway :hangloose

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just doing mine about 30 mins ago, you'll need an oxegen and acetlyene plant and big arse hydrolic press.

So my advise would be take it to a garage.

If you do it yourself if you heating the ball joint drill a hole in the back of it first as the pressure can build up behind the ball and fire it out like a bullet.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
They are a bit of a pain to take out - There's not a lot of material around the BJ on the actual trailing arm. Try local engineering firms, cheapest place to buy them is probably GSF car parts.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The balljoints can be removed very easily from the arms, with an angle grinder and hacksaw, without damage to the arms.

However fitting the new balljoints in to the arms is best done with a hydraulic press to provide a nice straight and tight fit.

Therefore its just as easy to get the old balljoints pressed out, and the new ones pressed in. Remembering that that the balljoints have to be alligned correctly when fitting.

If anyone wants to remove a balljoint, quickly and easily, this is how I do it.

1. With an angle grinder, grind the back of the balljoint off
2. The metal swivel bit (can't think of the technical term) can then be knocked out.
3. Insert a hacksaw through the remaining outer ring of the balljoint
4. Carefully cut down through the ring (NOT the trailing arm) in two places opposite each other.
5. The outer metal ring will then collapse in on itself and can be tapped out with a hammer.

If carried out with a bit of care the trailing arm will not be touched by the angle grinder or hacksaw blade.

I use the technique to remove the balljoints on my bus, and each one took no longer than 5 minutes to remove.

I still had to use a hydraulic press to fit the new ones though :crazy:

J :)

·
Premium Member
8,821 Posts
mdsplitvw said:
Car - '72 1300 beetle with adj. beam

Problem - split ball joints - need replacing
When you say "split", do you mean just the rubber boot is damaged ?
If it's just that, and the joint itself is OK, just get new rubber boots from Coolair, they cost a whacking £ 1,50 each + P&P, which is a lot compared to the cost of a complete ball joint (£6.50), but you can fit the rubber boots without Oxy acetylene, and big hydraulic presses :D
Clean out the old grease, so you can inspect the ball, fit the rubber boot, then inject fresh grease through the neck of the boot, or via the grease nipple hole on the back, if your joints have them, usually have a plastic plug in the hole).

Track rod ends just unscrew from the rod, replacement is the reverse, but get the tracking checked afterwards.

·
Registered
674 Posts
got quote £200 just to replace the lower ones. Brought upper and lowers for £30 and got all four pressed for £30 and actually learned all the little bits to the suspension. If you can find a good machinist i'd say do it yourself

·
Registered
802 Posts
Just done all four ball joint no problem, got the gas axe on the arms knocked them out then just pressed in the new ones, The only slight gripe i have is that although the up/down travel is fine the steering seems a little tighter than i would like, hopefully its just because there new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts