Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting my beam together after powdercoating, and I'm not sure it's right...

The lower trailing arm points down more than the upper one. So much so that when I put the spindle on, it actually pulls the upper arm down and turning the spindle (as if steering) is not smooth.

It's a Beetle balljoint beam in a sandrail, so I've removed the smaller torsion leaves.

Will it be OK when it's back on the ground?

The leaves are correctly located in the notches in the beam, and there are no adjusters fitted.

EDIT: And I spelt Parallel wrong too :D

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Why have you removed some torsion leaves? I don't know much about off roaders but I'd have thought you'd want to up the pring rate if anything as it's going to take more of a bashing.

I suspect that's where the problem lies. The leaves may not be sitting in place correctly. The shape of the leaves as a whole on a ball joint is more rounded than link pin leaves (which are totally square) which I'd have thought would make them more likely to go in wrong or slip round if some were missing.

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
Yep, the torsion springs will not be properly located in the centre mount if you remove some of the small leaves.

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a school of thought about removing leaves.

I posted a thread before I did it and the general opinion was that it was OK to do.

There is so little weight on the front, that the suspension can be too hard with all the leaves fitted.

The leaves appear to be properly located. If the arms are meant to be parallel, then I guess the leaves aren't in properly.

It's a simple enough job to pull them out and re-insert them.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
I have also been told in the past that from stock, the leaves aren't held at exactly the same angle. I think it's to stop there being a really soft bouncy spot in the middle of the car's suspension travel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts