Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am told that it is now illegal to make them!

I want to run wider rears on my Zwitter so I presume I can still buy old ones - but how do I know that someobdy hasn't knocked them up in their backgarden?

What do I look for if I were to buy them?

Sorry for the kinda nonsensical post but I like to understand stuff before I rush into something!

Emma

·
Hot shoe
26,191 Posts
Aaaaargh - there was a european manufacturer (whose name i forget) that made stock looking wheels in a variety of sizes. I know CSP used to stock them (was what i was planning to use originally on my car ;) ) check their website

http://www.csp-shop.de

·
Hot shoe
26,191 Posts
RaggedyRacing said:
Aaaaargh - there was a european manufacturer (whose name i forget) that made stock looking wheels in a variety of sizes. I know CSP used to stock them (was what i was planning to use originally on my car ;) ) check their website

http://www.csp-shop.de
remembered! google Kronprinz

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
automanics said:
3 points on your licence per wheel if you're caught with them on your car.
Ahh right didn't know that - I have an image in my head of what I want Zwitter to look like and that includes the camber on some deep wide 5's (as per a car I used to know!)

Is there not a standard version of wide wheeels then to fit my car?

How do they know tho??? I asked my sister (who is old bill) about seat belt laws and she had to go look it up! :rolleyes:

Emma

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Emmz said:
How do they know tho??? I asked my sister (who is old bill) about seat belt laws and she had to go look it up! :rolleyes:
It's not the Bill you need to worry about - unless it's blatant and obvious (like a stinger exhaust or slicks) most of them don't know the nitty gritty.

But the VOSA road side inspectors know. One snap road block and you could be half way to losing your licience!!

"Oh they'll never pull me in" - sit and watch a VOSA check for a minute. Someone is sat a few hundred yards up the road in an unmarked with a good view of the road deciding what to pull in. What do they choose - it's not new Jelly moulds and BMWs - it's vans, cars 4 years and older, and anything that looks modified or different. Your choice.

·
He doesn't fr*ggin' listen!
9,859 Posts
They are illegal.

I've seen one which has failed, and its not a pretty sight. Its pretty mangled from where the weld split and the air escaped from inside the tyre, causing the tyre to part company with the rim.

I've got a pair of 6 inch banded wide 5 steelies but I won't sell them 'cos I won't be held responsible if they fail on someone's car. I won't be running 'em either.

They'll make a great hose reel though...

·
9,859 Posts
mr.stumpy said:
now i know thanks ,but think unless it fails and is involved in a death no one would know not even VOSA.
I could spot a banded wheel from 100 paces and I bet the VOSA can too ;)

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
HoTWire said:
Banded Steels are easy to spot... Rerimmed ones are too,.. just one is illegal... banded steels have too many points of failure,.. rerims have the same as a steel wheel,.. in fact they are made in the same way..!
I do not believe that someone could tell without taking the tyre off the rim whether it is banded or re-rimmed.

·
9,859 Posts
mr.stumpy said:
so with all the fantastic builders and sprayers, welders you can tell between wide and banded wheels thats a gift :incheek:
Says the guy who didn't even know what a banded wheel was 10 minutes ago. ;)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts