Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here we have Barry... an ebay purchase which cost me £920.23.

Looks shit, doesn't it? Well - it is! :) I paid way too much money for him because I got in a strop on ebay... sound familiar?!

When I picked him up, this is what his inside was like:

A sink unit fitted but not screwed in, a bed in the back that had been bolted into the "bed" position, and most of the hinges etc were on the floor.

The back was panelled out already.

When I got him home, I found out that in fact the panelling in the back had been done pretty well - and it was fully insulated really well behind it and stuff! :D

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
stage 2!

There were a spare set of battery terminals connected up near the main battery - it turns out these were connectors for a leisure battery, which would then power the lights and the fan which had been fitted in the back! I connected a spare battery i had, but then discovered that although it powered all the lights and stuff, the battery didn't actually charge cos the split charger wasn't connected.

As a temporary measure, I screwed the sink unit firmly to teh wall, and nailed a piece of plywood to the front of it to hide the leisure battery.

I put a blanket thing on the seat to make it a nicer colour, and free'd up the bed mechanism and put it all together properly! :D Wehy!! :)

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i laid a load of cheapo carpet in the back just before i put the bed in... :)

once i'd laid that, i capreted the front of the bed bit and put a sub in place :D

then i got some more of the cheapo carpetting and attacked the cab! :D

mmm, headlining! ;)

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got bored of this so i started making the frame for a new set of units...

i had to take the sink unit out to start with 'cos it was in the wrong place, then move it down about a foot further towards the back so i could fit the little unit in

the little unit on the left is to hold the leisure battery, fuseboxes and stuff, and the amps for the stereo.

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
after vanfest i got round to putting some doors on the cupboards - made out of an old chest of drawers :D

the big one hinges in the middle so it doesnt take up too much space when you open it.

on top of the little cupboard i've put in a load of electric switchery stuff - its the controls for the eberspacher and a switch for my split charge ( which is going to be a MANUAL split charge system, because i can't figure out what terminals are what on the relay i've got! :lol: )

the eberspacher isn't wired or plumbed in yet... its gonna be interesting cos i've got a a4 page of hand written instructions to work from :D

the swithc for the split charge broke so i wired in a better switch, and added in a cigarette lighter socket too!

on top of the little unit is a place to put loose items like CD's and shiz, which has edges so they don't fall off when you drive! I always find that whatever car you're in, you never have places to put "stuff" - so now i do :D

as you can tell... i've literally built this interior as i go, no plans or anything :lol:

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

the front seats are from a honda CRX and f***ing comfy! the left one swizzles round and stuff, its great! :)

As for the outside...

i took the old front bumper off, and this fell off underneath...

coke can's there for scale

so i put some new metal in :cool: and then fitted a new front bumper:

then got pulled over by the police, because i forgot to change the numberplate from the one off the XKK crewcab to my number plate!!! :rolleyes:

so i set to work swappin the number plates :lol:

ever seen a drillbit do this?! :crazy:

this van eats tools for breakfast! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok engine wise - its a fucking nut job! :lol:

its a 1.9 DG apparently, but some people reckon its not.

when i got it, it ran absolutely shit! idled lumpily (if at all), juddered all the time, pulled really badly... oh and the exhaust was blowing like a cheap whore! :lol:

first job, new exhaust!

so, tried to undo the bolts and they just rounded off. snapped 2 sanners trying... no good!

ground them off, and the pipe still wouldn't come off! tried chiselling em off and snapped the chisel. tried hammering them, broke the hammer!

Wedged a jack between the engine brace bar and the exhaust and tried to pump it, and the jack bent! :crazy:

i jacked up underneath the van, and it still didn't go. in the end i tied a chain around the silencer, and tied the other end to my bay - and just yanked it off! :lol:

then there was the oil leak problem! some doooofus fitted this gay little breather thing to it:

·
Registered
10,670 Posts
Icky said:
ever seen a drillbit do this?! :crazy:

this van eats tools for breakfast! :rolleyes:
Hve you been using a masonary drill bit to drill metal :lol:

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i replaced the breather with:

:D it was meant to be a temporary fix but a few months later its still on there :lol:

stopped the leaking, anyway! ;) i'll get a proper breather system set up in time!

next job was to address the rough running... pete nice the mechanic came round and decided that there was an air leak on the side of the carb, but for some reason it didn't want to seal! eventually i got it to seal and then took it round to pete's for tuning...

on arrival at pete's the seal broke again :rolleyes: then the starter motor went :(

new starter motor later, and i limped it home with only half the carb attached.

again got it to seal, and took it to harry reeves in bisley.

his diagnosis for the rough running was that the carb gasket had been put on backwards, so that was why it wasn't sealing - and the carb had been wired up wrong (bypassing the fuel cut off valve, and the oil pressure switch and shiz? )

anyway, he fixed him all up good and he runs like a dream now :D starts first time every time, idles well, yadda yadda yadda... cruises all day at 75!

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
then he failed the MOT on some steering stuff, so again i packed him off to Harry, who did me a new steering rack, new gaitors, and snorted out all me brakes for me :D

next engine issues are to diagnose:

1. why, when you turn the engine off - does it backfire about 3 - 4 seconds afterwards, every time?! :crazy:
2. why is it that the engine doesnt actually fire until you stop turning the starter motor over :crazy:

bodywork plans include to fix a few more of the rusty bits, and get the outside graffed up!

i also want to get a new sliding door (with a window in it :crazy: ) because the existing one is slightly knackered, and i want to put a second (removable) row of 2 seats in behind the front seats :)

more updates soon as i'm gonna do a bit more to the interior in the next coupla days :D

and yeah, i know its all a shit job... but it f***ing WORKS as a camping interior! SOOOO much more practical than the devon interior in the bay ;)

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
barkyd said:
Hve you been using a masonary drill bit to drill metal :lol:
thats SUPPOSED to be a metal one! it even says "for use with metals" on it :lol: :crazy: i bought a set of 4 off the market, thats probably why it bent :incheek: :lol:

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
maxrox85 said:
:eek:thats a whole lot of work icky! :Dwell done hon, i guess its now passed MOT?
yeah :D :D :D course it has :)

·
Registered
18,795 Posts
looking good
your starting issue, might be not enough power in the battery, when the starter is taking all the current, not leaving enough for the coil, you let go of the starter then wha hey power for the coil and away it sparks
well it sounds a good excuse to me :crazy:
your drill bit, isn't it one of them corner bits, for drilling around corners :incheek:

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rubbachicken said:
looking good
your starting issue, might be not enough power in the battery, when the starter is taking all the current, not leaving enough for the coil, you let go of the starter then wha hey power for the coil and away it sparks
well it sounds a good excuse to me :crazy:

Sounds like it could be a reason! But the battery 'feels' like a really good one - at Vanfest I had the stereo (plus amps), and an inverter running off the van for 8 hours solid and it still started afterwards! :crazy: Also, you can turn the starter motor over for more than a couple of minutes without the battery going flat! It just weird :lol:

rubbachicken said:
your drill bit, isn't it one of them corner bits, for drilling around corners :incheek:
Yeah, that'd be it :D

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
meislei said:
looking good matey :D glad it passed the mot!, anything planned for her in future?

mei :hangloose
finish off the interior (and like make it a bit neater) - then get the exterior graffed up and stuff, then i'm just gonna drive it and abuse it! :crazy:

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, i done a bit more to the interior the other day:

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
then today I got bored and went a bit mental with a spray can :lol:

:smurf: :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts