Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered a job in Basingstoke. Before I make the long journey to have a look round, I thought I'd seek people's opinions. I like the quiet life and wondered if I'd find it there. I don't mind a cross-country commute but would rather avoid motorways.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
it's very nice there to be honest... nice shopping centre... the upper class kids often hang around there from what I recall. so, not too bad.

Best route in is off the m3 though.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
it's very nice there to be honest... nice shopping centre... the upper class kids often hang around there from what I recall. so, not too bad.

Best route in is off the m3 though.
I have to say I didn't think it was too bad - but Richie says its a dump!! Known at Odiham as a number of far from complimentary things!!

I think Maddog calls it city of roundabouts though :crazy:

I guess its all personal!!

With Loz on the route in though!!

Emma

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
if it's a case of living somewhere near and working there then... just live slightly out of the town... same with most large towns really :)

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
I have to say I didn't think it was too bad - but Richie says its a dump!! Known at Odiham as a number of far from complimentary things!!

I think Maddog calls it city of roundabouts though :crazy:

I guess its all personal!!

With Loz on the route in though!!

Emma
Yep....plenty of roundabouts and im always getting lost:eek:
It's like most big towns tbh.....has its rough bits and has its nice parts.....shopping centre is pretty good though. A short ride out and you've got lovely countryside.
The drive in all depends on where you're coming from.....there are plenty of nice and easy routes into the town.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Yep....plenty of roundabouts and im always getting lost:eek:
It's like most big towns tbh.....has its rough bits and has its nice parts.....shopping centre is pretty good though. A short ride out and you've got lovely countryside.
The drive in all depends on where you're coming from.....there are plenty of nice and easy routes into the town.
Yep - around Odiham is very nice!!AS is some of the parts the other side, can't remember the names

Its also very expensive!! When we were house shopping we had a quick look and counted it out straight away our 3 bed detached house came in at about £100k less than a flat!!!:eek::eek:
The only way we could afford to live there is £150 a month MQ's!!

I can't sleep through Chinook's though!!

Maddog you made me laugh when you told me about getting lost -
bless ya:hug::hug:

Emma

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
As mentioned, it's probably not the nicest place to live but as with most modern towns there are good areas and bad.

If you're looking for the quiet life (and depending what you mean by that) there are plenty of small villages and countryside within a stone's throw - plenty of estates and farms that rent out cottages which can be a lot more economical than buying at the moment, especially if you can live with picturesque but 'rough and ready' (keep an eye here for cottages etc. around the £6-700pcm mark).

Winchester is just down the road too which is very nice (if a tad pricey!) but, again, there are often possibilities if you know where to look..

:hangloose

·
Registered
379 Posts
it's not too bad here in boringstoke really, even some of the older estates around the town aren't as bad as people make out (honest) most of the older estates are currently full of older generations whose kids have left home, so it's generally quiet, but if ya fancy a more hectic life, try one of the numerous very new developments of flats in close proximity to the rail station(crack houses and whore houses, well flats really) but don't let that put you off, as someone already mentioned there are some really nice villages (if thats ya thing) in the surronding area, good luck with the new job! can i have one please:D

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
11,154 Posts
Shit hole, full of crappy estates, complete dive.
Were you reading my mind :lol:

On the plus side, lots of nice places not far away. I live in Petersfield which is nice, and not 30 minutes away, Odiham is ok too. You've got Winchester not far off, and Alton's not bad either. There's loads of leafy villiages within half hour or so commute. Take her around those places too, you should be alright then :D

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
it's not too bad here in boringstoke really, even some of the older estates around the town aren't as bad as people make out (honest) most of the older estates are currently full of older generations whose kids have left home, so it's generally quiet, but if ya fancy a more hectic life, try one of the numerous very new developments of flats in close proximity to the rail station(crack houses and whore houses, well flats really) but don't let that put you off, as someone already mentioned there are some really nice villages (if thats ya thing) in the surronding area, good luck with the new job! can i have one please:D
whs ^^^ it aint that bad !! and def what he said about the new developements in town, don't even go there! Depending on how far you want to commute, there's loads of villages on the outskirts, sherborne st john, monk sherborne, old oakley, old basing, whitchurch, overton, turgis green, rotherwick,upton grey, the warnboroughs ...
btw I'd live in Basingstoke any day but not Odiham !! :moon: :lol: I live in the supposedly worst estate which I have absolutely no fear of walking through day or night ... I'm less than 10 minutes drive away from open countryside. I just wish that they would stop building new houses everywhere :mad: Don't be fooled into looking at any so called 'posh areas' aka chineham, lychpit, hatchwarren, kempshott - apart from the older kempshott area, high prices, small houses and in general less friendly and more vandalism (imo)

hellooooo murf :D long time no see, club night this week ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts