Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, After some battery advice - Its actually the battery out of my daily driver deisel polo, but i figured it applys to batterys in genral so posted here.

The cranking on the car just gradually got worse until the other day when it just gave up, i got the battery tested and it said 'good - recharge' the test said 310a at 12v and its a 510a battery.

So i have been recharging it for a good 10 hours now and the red charge light has not gone off, and the middle plates of the battery are quite warm, plus the charger.

Its probably quite simple but i have never got my head around amps and such with batterys and electrics, I have a gut feeling that if the battery was ok it should have gone to green on the charger a long time ago ??

And the heat in the battery does not feel right to me.

Does this sound like Im looking at forking out for a new battery ? Or should i just keep charging ? is 10 hours not enough ?

Any advice appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,676 Posts
No battery expert by any means but...

It sounds a bit like you have an internal fault (warped plates maybe) in the battery. A battery tester wont always show this up unfortunately...

They can get slightly warm when charging but it shouldnt feel hot by any means. This to me shows its either low on fluid / warped plates / being overcharged (too high current) , none of these is good.

I would advise replacing it, especially as you are having issues with it.

I would strongly advise geting your local garage etc to get your alternator / charging system checked (should be very cheap or free) incase you have some kind of alternator issue thats damaged your battery , otherwise it might happen again. They should check the main power and earth leads too while they are at it. I used to to do these checks for free as it only takes a couple of minutes to have a visual inspection of all the leads and check the battery and charge rate.

Hope that helps a bit anyway. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

thanks for the advice, sounds good. Last night after about 11 hours charging when i turned off the battery charger the battery was really warm in middle, if you place your hand on the side of battery.

Also i could hear bubbling/boiling noises when i leaned over so i turned it off pretty quick!

I added distilled water a few weeks back when i did the service, topped the water above the plates but not up to the top of the cell plastic plugs.

my charger is sometihg like 26 - 60 amps i think. it is one of the heavier duty ones that i got to match the t25 deisel i had before so should be the same on this (1.9 desiel)

I might get the guy in the shop to use his tester again, and maybe look at a hyrdometer.

Thanks
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top