Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a problem with the earth strap to the battery getting covered in a white powder type stuff in the misses 1976, 1300 bug.

I have replaced the earth strap about six months ago as it almost total ate through the old one and subsiquently stop the car from starting. I covered the new connections with vaseline as someone suggested to prevent this happening again, but it has.
The negative connection on the battery is completely covered in solid white crusty stuff. To the point I have to chisel it off. It's the size of a golf ball..! The six month old battery strap is almost eaten through.... again!
It's not the battery, as this is the second battery and it's doing the same thing.

Does anyone know what is causing this?
Is it over charging?
Is it an earthing problem else where?

Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
The white powder is Lead Sulphate usually caused by a moist atmosphere and as M5153 says overcharging causing the sulphuric acid to get out of the battery as a mist.

It is not nice stuff to get on your hands so always was very throuroughly if you do and wear goggles if you wire brush.

It is not water soluble but it will be partially soluble in a weak acid such as baking powder in water or Coca Cola!!! (at last a decent use for Coke)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts