Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello tryin to sort my horn out cause some one bypast the wires near the horn... put it all back how it should be! but it dont seem to work...

i have found a brown wire near the steering box that dont go to any thing??
if this is it ? where it go??

can it be the one down the steering colum?

please help :D

steve

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Bay horn wiring is a nightmare, your best bet would be to have a look here and follow the links through the library for horn wiring. Extremely useful.

Mine now works a treat!

·
Registered
247 Posts
to be honest i fixed my horn lately and didn't find it too bad. You can rewire it if you aren't convinced the current wires are useable. Basically, when you turn on the ignition, the horn recieves a constant 12V positive (remove this off the horn and check with respect to the chassis (ground). If this is not the case then run another 12V to the horn.

If you are getting 12V here then your ground is not being switched. What happens when you press the horn is that the steering column surround is earthed to the column. At the bottom of this column surround there is a small tab (electrical spade connection) which a wire connects to from here to the ground connection of the horn.

If you are still not getting anything you may like to look under the horn push on the steering wheel, as there is a wire with a spade connector which goes onto the push assembly and connects at the bottom of the column surround.

see easy peesy. Hope this helps.

PS. if this still doesnt work, check your horn with a 12v battery, you never know - it might be buGG%red (mine was).

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did that about 2 years ago. What a nightmare! Finally gave up on the old wiring, ran 12 volts off fusebox (ignitioned) and mounted a push switch on the dash. Is fine for MOT and much easier.

Also got me a wolfsburg hurn push in middle of steering wheel, looks cool, but never used :hangloose

1 - 4 of 4 Posts