Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My van has a 4" narrowed beam, and I'm having problems fitting shocks to it before the MOT on friday. The shocks that came with the van seem too fat and foul on the beam mounting bolt. Any suggestions, I'm a bit miffed.

I might need narrower shocks perhaps? Any suggestions or pictures of what other people have done is much appreciated.

Cheers :hangloose

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
alright dude, long time no speak. to get shocks to work on a 4 incher you either have to chassis mount them in a laid back position to clear the beam bolts, OR remove the shock mounting stud from the lower trailing arms, clearence them (grind off about 3/4") and then re-drill and tap them for the stud to fit in deeper.

*waits for bunch of morons to tell of 'how unsafe' :rolleyes: *

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, that's after getting the arms powdercoated :lol: - 3/4" seems a lot too.

I don't fancy the idea of mounting them to the chassis.

Cheers dude. I'm still playing with the idea of narrower shocks, but it looks like I could be forced to do what ya suggest.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
yeah it is quite a lot, but that's what it'll take (an don't worry the arms are cast steel and not gonna fall in half if you do as i say) it would also help a bit if you cut the 'shit shields' off your shocks.

p.s. who made your beam? is it home brew with bought end plates?

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The beam was on the van when I bought it.

What's the easiest way to remove the shit shields? cut em off or are the shocks dismantleable?

Ta :)

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
tidy. you struggling for any bits n bobs? (with the exception of panels)

p.s. just had a browse over your readers rides thread-when putting arches and tubs in hang your door first, get the 3 out of 4 gaps you have to work with good, and then line the tub and arch up with the door. the arch will need more persuasion than the tub.

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers dude :D

Hung the door this afternoon and then spent ages getting the angles and fit right. Hopefully will have it fitted tomorrow :)

Would ya recommend welding the tub in first, or the arch?

Don't think I need any parts but I'll give ya a shout if I do. We'll see what Mr MOT says on friday.

Actually, you got any side opening 1/4lights? :)

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
yeah cut the bottom shock bolt off flush-ish to the trailing arm, then re drill and tap a m10 stud in there, bolt the shock up to that you could even just take the head of that bolt a dab with the grinder too....

Mines slightly different as im useing T1 shocks.... but, as you can see ive had to cut a section of the mouting boss on the lower shocker mount, and seam welded the rest of it up so it wont be going anywhere, i also had to use half nuts!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts

tofufi said:
Hi All,

My van has a 4" narrowed beam, and I'm having problems fitting shocks to it before the MOT on friday. The shocks that came with the van seem too fat and foul on the beam mounting bolt. Any suggestions, I'm a bit miffed.

I might need narrower shocks perhaps? Any suggestions or pictures of what other people have done is much appreciated.

Cheers :hangloose

just an idea and yes i know its not the right thing to do but it might get you out of a scrape take the offending bolt out and plug the hole with a blanking gromet or something lets face it the mot man an't going to know what he's looking at is he :rolleyes: then FIX it properly when you get your mot.
at the top you can use a bolt and a spacer.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
a1963vw said:
could u not flip the shock and remove the shit shield?
Apparently you shouldn't flip shocks. Something to do with where the oil sits causing one of the seals to run dry or something or nuffing. I forget the details but there was a guy on here a while back that really knew his stuff when it came to shocks and explained it all.

Might work for an MOT thang (and a short while afterwards) though.

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All sorted now properly. :)

Thanks guys.

Pugvan, I think my MOT man would know what he's looking at.... He owns a Buggy, at least 2 beetles, a late bay and has been working on VWs for more years than I've been alive ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts