Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how easy is it to make your own loom?

was thinking bout doing this as new looms are pretty expensive and i cant find one for a 72' anywhere :(

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
probably because afte nearly 40 years of use its been repaired/ bodged in some places, had several add ons and is like spaghetti jnc at the fusebox. im all for people redoing their looms.....That way they know whats what, making it more presentable, tidier, easier to follow. Just my opinion tho :)

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
probably because afte nearly 40 years of use its been repaired/ bodged in some places, had several add ons and is like spaghetti jnc at the fusebox. im all for people redoing their looms.....That way they know whats what, making it more presentable, tidier, easier to follow. Just my opinion tho :)
bingo!

never seen so much electrical tape in my life!

saw someones "home made" loom in readers rides but cant for the life of me remember whose it was :confused:

used 100m of wire or something :O

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Good thinking. I did a partial rewire of a 68 Bay and with a little planning it's not too difficult. From memory you have 1 big loom which runs to the rear carrying lights, engine bay, battery/charging and starter. I just measured the overall length laid out some pvc sleeving that was slightly too long, worked baby powder (lubricant) down the sleeve with a fairly stiff draw wire and pulled the various colour wires and added a couple of spares for future extras and with the aid of a charming assistant pulled everything through. Made little slits in the pvc where branches came out. Then with a smaller length of pvc sleeving ran the lighting across the engine bay. The front is done in a similar way with smaller looms which should be relatively easy.

Don't use the red/blue crimp on tags they're not reliable, use the proper crimp on/Solder type with insulating covers.

Got everything from here

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/

Take your time and plan it and it should be relatively straight forward. Get yourself a colour copy of your wiring diagram from The Samba or Vintagebus.com and laminate it invaluable.

Good luck

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the replies guys, not got any electric until next weekend (council garage about a mile from home, have to use a generator :( ) so i was planning on sorting out the wiring :)

got mysef a wiring diagram so may print that out in A3 at work and laminate it :D

ill keep you posted ;)

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got one from a chap called Ron Richman on the ssvc forum (sorry not got contact details to hand).
worked out cheaper than getting the wire myself.
thanks for that ill try and track him down!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts