Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 73 1200 beetle and im looking at lowering it putting a 1500
gearbox into it and then a 1955 soon.

im a big fan of going down the lanes and having fun in my bug and at the moment have really rubbish tyres and suffer with over and under steer.

i was just wondering what would the best sort of setup be?

im looking at running 185/55/15s on the front and thatll be going as low as i can with out tyre rubbing issus and 195/70 or 205/70/15s and down one outer spline on the rear.

so surely a narrowed beam looks good but reduces the track of the front end so infact looses road holding and the same with short shafts on the rear or is it all down to how good the rubber is?

on the front a stock anti roll bar or heavy duty anti roll bar? and the back a z-bar or the thing that prevents the rear wheel tuck on swing axle gearboxes (the one with the straps that go over the axle tubes)

sorry for the essay and its probably really badly laid out but im as work and just slapped it down quick. what are the ideas on this?:D

cheers guys and gals.
Dan

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
20,638 Posts
Hi Dan,

Glad somebody else enjoys the lanes.

By all means lower the bug at the front and the back but it appears that the rear should be lower than the front by about 1". I would set the ride height initially to give -2 deg at the rear. The camber is more important than the ride height. The front needs to be between -1 and -2 deg. Don't consider narrowing the front track as it will ruin the handling. If you need the clearance fit wider wings. Fit a very good set of dampers (Bilstein) suitable for the ride height and Poly bush everything. After you've done that then you might consider tyres. The best size for a quick car with average motor power would be around 165 x (60-80)x15 but as performance tyres are not available in that size you would need to consider wider versions but I would avoid anything beyond 195 and a lower profile than 60%. The bug suspension is not designed for low profile tyres and big tyres slow the car and the handling unless you've got the power to overcome that.

I would put a Z bar on the rear at the least and keep the front AR bar standard unless you feel that the rear is too tail happy. More front bar means greater understeer and should really be used to balance out an oversteering rear. In an ideal world the less roll bar the better. A bit of oversteer in the lanes is IMO desireable to set the car up for unknown bends.

The very best addition for lane running is a set of full harness belts that allow you to fully enjoy the experience without having to hang onto the steering wheel.

All the best lane running is done at night when its safer. If you want to do it competitively join a Motorsports club and do Road Rallying (also sanctioned by the police).

evilC

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Agree with evilC here. Wider front track gives better handling, period.

Here is an EXCELLENT site for setting up suspension for what you want:

http://aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm

Thats the directory of articles, I'll let you browse them! :D

Its not much good for us offroad boys as Z bars, AR bars etc are crap for offraod, but ideal for you!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers guys. im looking for a strike off for looks and handling. might have to make a desision and sacrifice looks for handling. hmmmm...definatly decision making to be made here...:lol:

cheers guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.