Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are front wheel bearings different sizes?? I have a 1972 1200 Bug.

I bought a disk brake set of a mate and decided to replace the disks with these:

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=1614&xSec=1653

Looking at the bearings i decided to get some new ones so ordered these:
http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=906&xSec=492

So this morning a nice package arrives at my door. I have a looky and decide to size up the bearings with the disks. So the damn bearings don't fit straight into the disks... Perhaps needs some lubrication to fit in??

So i decide to check if they are the correct ones.. And they don't even fit on the spindles. Now i'm a bit confused, which ones are the inner and outer?? Inner nearer the backing plate??

Well the first bearing just slid straight down the spindle, i tried the old bearing and it stops on the slopeing bit. Argh.. So i guess the real questions are what bearings do i buy and will i need new disks too??

What i am wondering is that if the disks were originally off an older car then perhaps different bearings are required.
Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
early disc setups when the change to ball joint came in... around '66 '67 if memory serves.. run a smaller inner bearing IIRC... these can be slightly difficult to get hold of.. however M7 would probably have sent you the standard replacement stuff which would have the more common bearing setup...68 ish on.. disc or drum..non '02/'03...

you have removed the old "races" and have installed the new ones form the new bearings yes?... the races will be a completely different size if you have the wrong bearing...

good luck!:)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What i am installing is new disks/backing plates/bearings and races on the old spindle. I think it is the larger inner bearing that i have been sent and will get the smaller/earlier one.

Thanks for all of the help.
Mike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts