1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jan 27th apparently..

http://www.beastieboys.com/

Look forward to that! :cool:

"The Beastie Boys will reissue a special anniversary edition of their second classic studio album 'Paul's Boutique'.

The re-release comes 20 years after the influential and critically acclaimed LP first hit shelves in 1989. Produced by the Dust Brothers, the songs were recorded between 1988-1989, at Mario G's Studio in Los Angeles and The Opium Den in Brooklyn, New York.

The new CD version will be digitally remastered, with the Beastie Boys being involved directly with the restoration process.

The artwork will also be changed to eco-friendly packaging, featuring eight foldout panels and a poster. Those who purchase 'Paul's Boutique' will also receive a free download, that includes the rappers discussing each track."

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
17,488 Posts
I was listening to that a couple of days ago. It's amazing how fresh it still sounds - i don't think it needs to be re-mastered. at all.

it's such a clever album.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed, 20 years old and still sounds incredible, but will be good to own.

Still sounds best on vinyl.

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
That's funny. Pauls Boutique was slammed in the press stateside when it came out. It didn't have the pop grab of Licenced (which therefore makes it a better album IMHO). Poor sales at the time lead to a parting of the ways with Def Jam. The result was good ol Grand Royal and the B Boys really coming into their own.

I mention all this because it's only in hindsight that this is now hailed as a B Boy classic cause it was widely panned back in the day.

They dub it allllllllllllllllllllllllll, they dub it all.

·
I really must get out more
5,667 Posts
NO TO DIGITAL REMASTER :mad:

some things are just best left alone but i will buy it:lol:

·
Registered
446 Posts
saw them in 87' with RUNDMC....still got the tour programme's and also got the "COOKYPUSS" EP on ratcage records....was thinking about ebay'ing the lot along with a couple of the t'shirts i bought at the gig.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
17,488 Posts
I lent a copy to a cunt who never returned it...
What a cunt. (WAC - soon to be copyrighted...)

NO TO DIGITAL REMASTER :mad:

some things are just best left alone but i will buy it:lol:
+1 but it will be interesting to hear how on earth they are going to sound it better!

some albums of course, were ruined by the production - the stooges raw power, for example. they should have stuck with john cale because david bowie ruined it. it was only worth buying in '97 when iggy re-mastered it properly. /geek.

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Jan 27th apparently..

http://www.beastieboys.com/

Look forward to that! :cool:

"The Beastie Boys will reissue a special anniversary edition of their second classic studio album 'Paul's Boutique'.

The re-release comes 20 years after the influential and critically acclaimed LP first hit shelves in 1989. Produced by the Dust Brothers, the songs were recorded between 1988-1989, at Mario G's Studio in Los Angeles and The Opium Den in Brooklyn, New York.

The new CD version will be digitally remastered, with the Beastie Boys being involved directly with the restoration process.

The artwork will also be changed to eco-friendly packaging, featuring eight foldout panels and a poster. Those who purchase 'Paul's Boutique' will also receive a free download, that includes the rappers discussing each track."
:cool:

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
as shane rightly says... it was slammed and also sold really poorly... mike d has been quoted as saying 'if everyone I meet who says they bought it really had it would never have been a flop when it first came out'

(it is a great record though)

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I always thought it was a flop as the BBoys and Dust Brothers created an album so far ahead of it's time that it wasn't to everyones taste? Compared to the frat rap of Ill. Hence why it has sold so well in later years.

Difficult to call what is better in my opinion - Paul's or Check Your Head - um...

Talking of BBoys related goodies, I bought "Gunnin for that #1 Spot", the MCA/Ad Yauch produced basketball movie over Xmas. Very good- I recommend it even if you don't do b-ball. :cool:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts