Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so have got the bug (npi) and have to buy some new wheels and tyres. Wheels is a no brainer for me, has to be replica BRMs, but tyres is a bit more tricky. Suspension is standard (atm), so what would be a good choice of tyre for these wheels.....I've looked and people seem to choose various sizes and just wanted some input please.

Also, whats with spacers and should/could I fit them??

Thanks loaDs

:)

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Depends wether you want a certain "look" or you want it to give the best handling possible really. Also do you want to keep the rolling diameter correct for the car? The wheels you mention are available in two widths as well i believe, so which ones you have will also be contributory.

My choice would be wider wheels at the rear with 195/65x15, and skinny wheels at the front with 155/80x15, and lower the front. These sizes keep the rolling diameter about right. It'll not do much for handling though but if i was fussed about that i wouldn't be driving a beetle in the first place.

Edit--I don't think you'll need spacers, not sure on the offsets of said wheels but i bet if you wanted to go really low at the front in the future you'd be looking at a narrowed beam to get the wheels under the arches, especially if you went the dropped spindle route and/or have disc brakes (both of which increase the track).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends wether you want a certain "look" or you want it to give the best handling possible really. Also do you want to keep the rolling diameter correct for the car? The wheels you mention are available in two widths as well i believe, so which ones you have will also be contributory.

My choice would be wider wheels at the rear with 195/65x15, and skinny wheels at the front with 155/80x15, and lower the front. These sizes keep the rolling diameter about right. It'll not do much for handling though but if i was fussed about that i wouldn't be driving a beetle in the first place.

Edit--I don't think you'll need spacers, not sure on the offsets of said wheels but i bet if you wanted to go really low at the front in the future you'd be looking at a narrowed beam to get the wheels under the arches, especially if you went the dropped spindle route and/or have disc brakes (both of which increase the track).
Hmmm, hadnt really thought about lowering the front yet, is it easy to do?

Also, I'd like to have a combination of handling / looks...if possible!

·
Registered
13,140 Posts
5.5's can cause trouble with a midly lowered car & repro wings (they'll rub on the n/s wing which seems a slightly different moulding to the o/s) so ideally if you can get 5 or 4.5 on the front and 5.5 on the rear

·
Registered
243 Posts
i have 5.5" BRMs on rear with 185/65/15 Yokos, and 4.5"s on the front with 145/65/15s

I like this stance with skinny fronts and pretty fats rears, depends on your preference. My car is lowered on spindles at the front (which widen track slightly) but wheels still fit within width of archs and no rubbing. Although car is not really low, if it was they'd rub.

On the back the tyres pertrude slightly outside arches which i was concerned about but it passed MOT so guess its OK. The offset on these wheels is quite small (meaning the wheels sit quite far out) as the rear ones have to accomodate the driveshafts within the small centre caps, with stock wheels the driveshafts would stick out further than wheel but be hidden within domed hubcaps.

Anyway, it looks like this.

ARC

·
Registered
104 Posts
i have 5.5" BRMs on rear with 185/65/15 Yokos, and 4.5"s on the front with 145/65/15s

I like this stance with skinny fronts and pretty fats rears, depends on your preference. My car is lowered on spindles at the front (which widen track slightly) but wheels still fit within width of archs and no rubbing. Although car is not really low, if it was they'd rub.

On the back the tyres pertrude slightly outside arches which i was concerned about but it passed MOT so guess its OK. The offset on these wheels is quite small (meaning the wheels sit quite far out) as the rear ones have to accomodate the driveshafts within the small centre caps, with stock wheels the driveshafts would stick out further than wheel but be hidden within domed hubcaps.

Anyway, it looks like this.

ARC
Where did u get the 4.5 brms from, can only find 5's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts