Volkszone Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Highly Respected Member
2,560 Posts
I've had this problem before. My brother when fitting a new beam used a cheap cylinder honing tool to slightly open out the bush. It took less than a minute to get the clearance. On my last car I found the same problem but the beam was full of grease. I took off the trailing arm and wrapped some fine sandpaper round it and gently removed some material at the inner bearing surface, by rotating the arm. Just enough so the bush no longer 'grabbed' the trailing arm. It took a few trial fits but it worked a treat. You know when its right, because you can push the fitted arm with hand pressure and it will move smoothly ie not sticky.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I took off the trailing arm and wrapped some fine sandpaper round it and gently removed some material at the inner bearing surface, by rotating the arm. Just enough so the bush no longer 'grabbed' the trailing arm.
That's an interesting method, they are the nylon bushes for repro beams so fine wet and dry should do it. Did you do this with the bush installed in the beam?

·
Highly Respected Member
2,560 Posts
That's an interesting method, they are the nylon bushes for repro beams so fine wet and dry should do it. Did you do this with the bush installed in the beam?
I may have confused you. My brother sanded the bush down inside the beam using a honing tool. I sanded the arm down cause the beam was full of grease. Not best practice but the surface of the arm was a little rough due to wear so it made sense.

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
Makes sense, wasn't sure if it was an 'interference' for or not. I consulted the Bentley, it doesn't seem to mention reaming but it does give a maximum wear diameter of 37.4mm so I think I need to find a competent garage rather that 'have a go' myself!

From memory the arms felt fine but I will double check as I can't see what else it would be.

Thanks
The arm should be a snug push fit, not a tight push fit. It should rotate freely with minimal force yet not feel loose or have any noticeable wobble in the arm.

It's one of those feel things ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The saga continues after sorting out a few other problems I've aquired the correct size reamer but after removing the beam the inner bush doesn't seem to be the problem.

Three of the arms rotate freely but some of the lowers seems the be sticking, when I turn it, it seems to 'step' as I turn it as if the outer needle bearing is sticking (which is fairly new).

When I turn the bearing without the arm installed it seems to move smoothly. I've also ruled out problems with the arm by installing it on the arem from the opposite side and vice versa.

Any idea what the problem could be before I try and replacment (and expensive) bearing?

Thanks

·
Highly Respected Member
2,560 Posts
It still sounds like the arm is too tight on the inner bush, hence it moves in steps rather than being smooth.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I've just done some further investigation tonight and it seems to be the roller bearing when I pushed the arm part way in before the inner had engaged and bearing just engaged and seems to bind.

Now in the process of fabricating a bearing puller!

Cheers

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well heres the problem! In a rush to fit the bearings I obviously didn't inspect the inside face of the tube, I big nasty gougeshave damaged the outer bearing race. Lesson learnt.

I really appreciate all the help with this, hopefully all should be good once I replace the bearing.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts