Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello to all. i have a chance of getting an early ish vw cab (genuine) totally stripped but assured all bits are there. engine, box, front beam rear axle doors wings etc. it does want quite a lot of welding, new floorpan chassis,is next to car , ,wants grafting in etc body wise,its just weathered with being in a container for about 25 years, need quite a lot of rubbing down prepping etc hood is,or looks ok got the glass etc,all chromework is pitted ie,, bumpers, door glass surrounds, need wiring loom and poss other bits ,that i cant quite see (stuck in trailer,) he is after an offer, i know its a lot of work, and prob a lot of dosh ,, question is ,,??is it all worth the hassle lol i am retired now so have a bit of time. to faff about if i get it what do you guys think please?any advice welcome,thanks. oh dont know the year of it ,,but guessin 61,, to 65 ish ,,

· Premium Member
9,459 Posts
Hi Gerald, If you are up for a Project, an early 60's cabrio seems worthy of the time, effort and money.
I can only advise that you inspect it again, thoroughly, (can't do that properly while it is stuck in a trailer), so you know what it will need before making the final decision.
If you can do the welding and assembly, it could be worthwhile, but if you have to pay someone to do the welding, it could become a money pit.
Good luck.

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes your right, im not bad at assembly/ mech bits ,, with parts, done a few buses, but like you say if its tons of welding, thats where money lies ,, ill have to pop up again for a better look ,, still pondering, cheers for response tho

· Registered
2,750 Posts
If you could find out what year too as a lot of the later 60s cars had one year specific panels that can be hard to find for a saloon nevermind a cab, doors and deck lid especially! Also is it rhd or lhd, v5 or paperwork there?

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mornin jim,, i went up to the yard, where container is, dragged floor pan out, and got number which is 4003296, couldnt get under bonnet for vin plate,, heavy stuff in way ,, found the engine under wraps scruffy, but turns over by hand ok,,
wire brushed and got number, which is S383003 (dont recognise that) asked about paperwork ,he has never seen anything about paperwork ,never been registered over here, question how would i go on about getting a v5 over here jim any ideas please , doors are good wings all there ,it has had a rh dash fitted loosely,( could be replaced) to lhd, sorry to bombard you with this jim,, i had high hopes of finding somethink like this , but getting bit fed up now lol cheers jim

· Premium Member
9,459 Posts
Unless the current owner has already done the Import paperwork, to get an Imported project vehicle registered, you will have to go through the NOVA process, (Notification Of Vehicle Arrival), HMRC will assess if you have to pay VAT, then issue a Certificate which you need to apply to DVLA for a UK Registration number, this will cost £50. When completed, the car may need to pass an MOT just for the first year.

· Registered
2,750 Posts
What he said! A vw birth certificate or even a letter from a club based on chassis Number should be enough to confirm the age.

Sounds like a great project hope it all works out🤞

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What he said! A vw birth certificate or even a letter from a club based on chassis Number should be enough to confirm the age.

Sounds like a great project hope it all works out🤞
cheers jim im in two minds tbh with getting it ,,, i have imported few buses in the past with no trouble i know german birth certificates from stittfung auto museum wolfsburg germany take about 6 months i thought that a vw club over here does one quicker , ill keep looking yeh could be a good project (money pit) lol

· Registered
8,500 Posts
I thought I'd replied but can't see it sorry if a repeat. I'm on the lookout for an early cabrio body/bug. If you don't go forbit could you mind passing on my details. 079six7six25six19 tx 👍
You won't be able to register it until a roadworth car. I've tried. Wolfsberg didn't take that long with a birth cert tho. Good luck 😄

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hy mate i havent given up with it yet, still trying to get a b/c its a big job but im sure and capable to get it up to scatch maybe take a bit longer but still with it, if change of plans ill keep your number ok wheres your location

1 - 13 of 13 Posts