Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a 73 1300 beetle.

I have just got round to cleaning the electrics and i've found a lost wire:

i've traced it back to the light switch but i don't know where it goes on the rear of the fuse box. Can someone tell me which connector it goes on when looking down from the front of the car please?

Second fault i have is that when i tried to start my engine the points caught fire. When i removed the engine i only disconnected two wires from the coil, thick black and thin brown.

Have i put the wires back on in reverse, should the brown be where the black is? I took them out so long ago that i have forgotten and my manual is in another van.

Thank you.

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
Blk/Yell goes to Fuse #10 (count Rt to Lft from topside).
There should already be another Blk/Yell on that fuse terminal
from the Ignition switch.

Quite sure you can tape up that Brw wire; it should be for the
Diagnostic socket.

The coil wiring looks like this:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you speedy Jim, just what i thought put them on the wrong way round :rolleyes: what a tart.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so i've sorted the above out now, thanks again Jim, but i have just blown my headlights :mad:

Checking the wiring and ive found that they are connected from the 4th from left. A wire goes from here to the light relay and another wire from the same terminal goes next door to the third from left or 9th from right, is this right?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes i have the yellow/black wires on the same spade but i noticed the loop over after the lights blew. Thanks for the diagram.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok found out the light blowing problem, my fault live to earth and vice versa on the side lights.

Last problem i have (tempt fate) is with the fog light switch i have installed.

Sorry about the blur, but it's labelled like this:

top = Earth

Second = "acc"

Third = "power"

My question is which of the bottom two do i use as power in from the fuse box and which do i use as power to the fog light?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had to tempt fate. Now the bloody brake lights aren't working. I have live up under the bonnet (black) but i have no live down at the switch neither the black nor the black/red. There are no blown fuses anywhere, so am guessing no short.

When i took the lights off the back during respray they were working fine, nothing happened under bonnet or at the switch so i am stumped.

I'm going to try a temp manual switch tomorrow but any other ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Checked every fuse, fine. Horn works as normal.I am going to try the bypass switch up top tomorrow and that will, fingers crossed eliminate the fault and i can go from there.

Otherwise i'm stumped.

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
Correction: May be Fuse #11 on your car.
Sometimes they look good but don't make contact.

Post back if the bypass works.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've bypassed the brake switch with a manual switch and nothing. So i traced the wires from the switch up the side of the tank and into the bonnet area. They are joined by a fuse creating a circuit in itself.

So i moved on to the main black that splits to the horn. From here i have a red wire, added by someone else i think, that runs to the back of the car.

Now this to me says that the lights should never have worked but they did.

I have no shorts in any of the circuits.

I am completely stumped on this now.

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
red wire, added by someone else i think, that runs to the back of the car.
There are 2 thick Red wires (Hot feed and starter solenoid).
There is one skinny Red wire which is for the Interior light.

The Brake lights are a single Blk/Red wire.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brake lights are working fine now, many thanks.

I took the steering wheel off to spray (looks lovely) and now my horn isn't blooming working. I have cleaned the contacts at the rear of the wheel and I have checked the supplies and there is live. If i jump the earth the horn sounds. Does this mean that at the switch it isn't earthing?

If so how do i fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
On your year, I believe earth comes up thru a wire in the shaft .
The far end is earthed thru the steering box shaft.

The bronze wiper contact picks up earth from the ring on the wheel
and sends it down the Brw wire in the plug for the indicator wires.

See if any of those connections have come loose.
Also critical is whether the bronze wiper actually touches the
bottom of the wheel.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jim

I have full live contact at the boss in the centre of the wheel. I have live down at the horn in the black wire. I notice that the brown on the other side is connected on the horn to the black. If i earth the brown wire then the horn sounds continuously. If i earth the black wire it blows the fuse.

The contacts at the wheel are clean and making good contact.

Still the horn doesn't work, nothing happened to any wiring while i removed the steering wheel so i am at a complete loss.

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
I have full live contact at the boss in the centre of the wheel.
I can't picture this. The wheel has the copper contact ring
and the small spade terminal for the earth wire.
What is "full live"?

I have live down at the horn in the black wire.
That's correct.

I notice that the brown on the other side is connected on the horn to the black.
Are you saying that, at the horn, the Brw wire is connected to the
Blk wire?
That wouldn't make sense.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts