Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all thought id point you all to an 18min clip on guba showing the beetle being built in wolfsburg in 1967.

Very interesting stuff and may help answer some assembly questions for all you buffs

enjoy but it is 75mb so you need broadband
be patient and make sure you have flash

http://www.guba.com/watch/3000018565

·
25 character limit is cra
6,631 Posts
Cool, thanks! Just downloading it now

Are you sure it's 1967? The tail lights on one of the cars had reversing lights in it - '68 or '69 style?

Moby or Peter can probably tell what size the engine is from the crank grinding in the first 10 seconds :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol Im sure most if not all of it is 67, I do belive true wizard magic went on in that factory but if you think about it they would be producing 67's alongside the new 68s in the year of 1967.

That is unless on the chime of midnight goblins make all the 68s in one night for the new model year.

:) ;)

·
6,631 Posts
opl505e said:
That is unless on the chime of midnight goblins make all the 68s in one night for the new model year.
Oooh, good call on the goblins!

The only other explanation is they used some older film and released it in '68 or '69. But I prefer the goblins theory :D

·
Premium Member
48,695 Posts
I'm an IT novice - is there a way of saving the clip?

My usual 'right click' - 'save as' trick doesn't work with this clip?

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
last_triumph said:
I'm an IT novice - is there a way of saving the clip?

My usual 'right click' - 'save as' trick doesn't work with this clip?
I managed to save it but you have to be a bit sneaky to do it as unlike some vids hosted on there , this one doesnt have a download button :(

Right clikc on the ipod button and choose save as... It will save as a mp4 file (can be played with various things including quicktime) , If that doesnt work do it again and choose the psp button instead but the ipod one is more likely to work. :)

I know one of them works as i have it sat here now on my desktop :D

56k Dialup Warning ... Beware its a 178mb download :eek:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
opl505e said:
....That is unless on the chime of midnight goblins make all the 68s in one night for the new model year....
That's more or less what happened (plus throw in the summer vacation).

Check out the automated bodyshell construction. They called that the "Carousel" and they first implemented that system in the mid-1950's! Many people would never associate the Bug with automated production techniques. AFAIK, the Wolfsburg plant was never able to top the 4,000 per day Bug production, at that plant, with any other model.

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
What was their tool change time on the big 500 ton presses?

At that time the Japanese had it down to about 1 hour - at the time BMC (Rover) were taking 1 shift. ho hum!

·
6,631 Posts
Interesting that the narrator says a tooling die (for the roof panel I think?) must last for 100,000 parts - that means they would have needed almost 20 of them a year! In the late 60s they were making almost 2 million Beetles a year, although this was from factories all over the world.

Does anyone know how the dies were made? I think they were CNC machined and then hand fettled at the end, is that what was being shown with the door pressings?

The paint process was amazing too, I can't believe all that sanding by hand that was done everywhere, even inside the glovebox! The quality shows though, if you want to look at a really good paint finish now, don't look at a modern Mercedes with orange peel everywhere - have a look at the original paint inside a 60s Beetle :D

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
garethj said:
Does anyone know how the dies were made? I think they were CNC machined and then hand fettled at the end, is that what was being shown with the door pressings?
The dies would be pantographed.
There is a master 'model' which could be at 2 x scale. A pantograph machine, ie something that looks like the old draughting board machines is used to scaled down the operators movements as he (always a he in '68) moved a stylus with twice the cutters radius over the surface. The tool steel for the die would have been flogged out to a rough shape of the pressing and this method would be used to get the final curves.

If you look at a car of that time, Beetle included there are no sharp edges in the pressings - neither the die making nor the pressing technology could cope.

It was all semi-automated.

(I was a die/mould designer in a former former life)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts