Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thinking of carry out a converting my swing axle Beetle to IRS, is it a worthwhile conversion from a handling point of view? I'm intending to run the car quite low.

Thanks

Pike

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Are you gonna have a big engine in it? If not, then probably not. The IRS works best when throwing the car around a corner at high speed.

The upside is that you may be able to get a better gearing ratio due to having to change the box. The 1303S or 02s boxes are both good.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully in the future I'l be getter something like a 1776.

Regarding the gearing, I found out that my car has actually got a GT gearbox in it already ( not confirmed whether it is a real GT Beetle or not yet, but I think it might be).

The reason I asked the question about IRS is that a 02s is going very cheap near to where I live, so the expense is not a issue just the time it will take to convert versus the benefits.

Pike

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
GT box is better than a 03s box. IRS stops the wheel tuck effect when going fast around corners. I'd say that ARB and a Z bar, if uprated would do the trick nicely. There is a lot of work in converting to IRS and I'm not sure you would benefit from using a 1302s gearbox after driving with the GT box

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
03 (/02) BO = 1300 RATIOD BOX
02s box = 1500
03s = GT

To do a real proper job I rekon body off is the way, and thus wouldn't consider a IRS conversion myself unless doing this. Also needs ot be done spot on...|I would prefer to have an expert do it. I do all my ow serficing 'cos I generally don't trust garages.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VielziDub said:
I do all my ow serficing 'cos I generally don't trust garages.
MOT and tyres are the only thing i've ever had done in a garage in 14 years of driving, I figure if I'm trusted to fix aeroplanes at work, cars ain't going to be a problem (of course a little help from the people on here never goes amiss)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts