Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing a Tuning and Improving Guide on the VW Beetle for Classic Car Weekly - detailing what can be done to make them better...

What I need are some good clean shots of a Beetle with disc brakes - wheel off - from the side, that sort of thing (for a close-up of the brakes).

They can be wide-5 or Porsche pattern - doesn't really matter which.

Also need a decent head-on engine shot of an engine. Something twin carbed, like a 1776 or bigger if you've got one and a phat exhaust would be even better.

Also want a detail shot of a Berg shifter in situ or tastefully upgraded interior, with gauges and an Empi/Speedwell wheel, or Empi seats...

Maybe a lowered/narrowed beam prior to fitting.

Anything you can supply will be much appreciated but they have to be good quality for reproduction.

Thanks

james

·
Registered
709 Posts
disks redrilled to porshe pattern

burg shifter

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
err, how can you tell from a pic its 1776?? wouldnt a clean, detailed, twin carbed 1300 look like a clean, detailed, twin carbed 1776???????

sorry, but

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
ratter said:
err, how can you tell from a pic its 1776?? wouldnt a clean, detailed, twin carbed 1300 look like a clean, detailed, twin carbed 1776???????

sorry, but
I don't think anyone would bother with that amount of work and set up for a poxy little 1300. ;)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ickle AutoManics said:

Piccy by slimboy :D
Thanks for that, but perhaps looks a little too extreme for the pipe and slipper/MG loving readers of Classic Car Weekly...

And I'm not really sure what all the other posts are about but I'm using the 1776cc as an example of a sportier engine you can use everyday, so a good looking motor with twin carbs I can say is a 1776 is good enough.

But why doubt someone's honesty when they're helping someone else out?

If they say it's a 1776 why isn't it a 1776?

Cheers to everyone who helped with the pics though!

And will's 67 - what's you're real (full) name so I can give you a credit for the pics in the article?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I think ratter's original post was asking about pics in general, not ickle automanics pics. i.e. would the classic car readers be able to tell if they were looking at a decent photo of a 1200 engine bay as opposed to a 1776 engine bay, as outwardly they look pretty similar, if not the same?

I think.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately, I've found to many non-VW people an aircooled flat-four is an air-cooled flat four - PERIOD - and the only thing a lot of them think you can do is bolt a 911 engine in the back...

You have no idea how many classic car dealers I've visited who believe that old chestnut to be the case.

So, I just needed a nicely detailed engine shot that looks a bit sportier to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Classic Car Weekly might not have a huge following of aircooled readers, but it's good to preach to the non-believer from time to time - I've written a Karmann Ghia buyer's guide for next weeks issue too - and who know's, maybe one of their relatives might pick it up when they see something a bit more exciting, yet down to earth featured they can relate to and be inspired enough to buy a bug of their own..?

I'm also going to mention period horsepower i.e. Judson Superchargers, which is something even a non-VW anorak can spot when they look in the engine bay.

I have a fairly decent picture of a Judson'd Bug but if anyone has a really quality shot, I'd be glad to see that too.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Beena said:
I think ratter's original post was asking about pics in general, not ickle automanics pics. i.e. would the classic car readers be able to tell if they were looking at a decent photo of a 1200 engine bay as opposed to a 1776 engine bay, as outwardly they look pretty similar, if not the same?

I think.
pretty much what i meant, wasnt doubting anyones honesty, just meant who can say if its a dressed, twin carbed 1600 or a 1776/1835 whatever (from exterior photo)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts