Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i`m in the process of repairing/replacing the rear valance on our beetle. The problem is that earlier panels have been fitted on the car and i`m not sure whether the panels are 67 only/earlier/later - the car is actually a 71.

here is the deckilid -

here is the rear valance -

the valance has obviously been welded on at some point, but they had applied quite a lot of filler to make the curved profile appear square to follow the line of the decklid.

basically, what i want to know is what year rear valance i need to suit the decklid.

thanks,
mike

·
Registered
919 Posts
the decklid you have is a 67 only which req's a matching 67 only valance. unfortunatly there are no reproduction panels available and nos ones are about £250!! probably cheaper to change your decklid to an earlier or later one as valances are available cheaply for these.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bugger - now i`ve got a perfectly good decklid that i can`t get a rear valance for - looks like i`ll have to sell the decklid and get a 2nd hand declid and repro valance!

anyone know much a 67 only decklid in rust free condition would be worth roughly?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The deck lid is the easy bit to get hold of, I just bought a mint one for £10. The hard part to find is the rear valance, and as stated before costs about £250 for a second hand usable one.
One may turn up, or you could offer a swap for a 65/66 lid which would fit your valance.
Good luck with your resto.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sie1970 said:
The deck lid is the easy bit to get hold of, I just bought a mint one for £10. The hard part to find is the rear valance, and as stated before costs about £250 for a second hand usable one.
One may turn up, or you could offer a swap for a 65/66 lid which would fit your valance.
Good luck with your resto.
resto!? the missus has to go to work in it tomorrow!

cheers for the help guys - i think i`m going to see if i can get an cheap early decklid and repair the valance i`ve got.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
thats a EARLY pre-66 rear valence, with a 67only decklid on it, Then fillerd up to make it look like a 67only rear valence,

anyway, depending on what style you like ie early/late you could get a 66 rear valence and get a fullW/semiW decklid, or you could just get a late rear valence a late decklid, or you could even still run your black 67only decklid with a 68>on late rear valence, and make up a braket to mount decklid catch slightly futher down, 67only rear valences are rare, and in my veiw, finding a good one to weld into a 72 is pointless.

·
Registered
25,413 Posts
Hi mike, I've got a relatively good genuine semi-W decklid up for grabs ;) are you around any time soon?

little bit of filler at the top edge (the brown stuff is copper-grease!)

hinge panel

inner lip

:)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks mate :) , but i`m not up in london in the forseeable future.

just trying to get the car rust free and tidied up over the next few weeks - i think i`m going to have to stick with 67 one for the time being unless a cheap lid comes up close to home.

cheers,
mike

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
As Alex said, you could fit a later valance (probably only £20) and the '67 lid will still fit. You just need to work out where to put the lid catch.

G-out!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actually, yeah, i reckon i`ll put a later valance on and modify the bracket.
at least then, the mounting point for the engine seal will be correct for the car - the person who fitted the one pictured welded it in about one inch too low on the and and a bit more than that on the other side. makes the engine a nightmare to get out. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts