Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says im planning to take the body off the chassis on my 72 wizard but iv only got a small single garage so space wiil be tight. Has any body made a frame that allows the body to sit on the frame but the chassis can roll under it. That way i can roll the shell out and work on and vise versa but at nite i can pack it all away heres my crappy ms paint idea but any picture of ones that have been made would be help full

random pic of the car if any ones interested

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx iv sent a email to the seller asking which way the shell mounts on it and if it could be modifed to allow a chassis roll under it

·
Registered
861 Posts
Biggest problem I can see is getting the body high enough to clear the chassis, but still having the cleaance for it to roll out under the garage door frame.

When I had my body and pan separated, I had the body hung on ropes (from h/duty eyes in the walls or over the rafters depending on garage) which allowed the chassis to roll out from underneath. I then had a simple frame on castors mounted on the under side of the shell to allow it to be moved around once it was lowered.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tim 62 said:
Biggest problem I can see is getting the body high enough to clear the chassis, but still having the cleaance for it to roll out under the garage door frame.

When I had my body and pan separated, I had the body hung on ropes (from h/duty eyes in the walls or over the rafters depending on garage) which allowed the chassis to roll out from underneath. I then had a simple frame on castors mounted on the under side of the shell to allow it to be moved around once it was lowered.

Thats what im thinking iv gotta wait till my new garage is built (jcb reversed in to the block of garages now there being re-built) then il see what clarence iv got iv found this pic on here its just what im after if i pt wheels on it is it anyones on here. Just looks like scaffolding

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
I used 2 pairs of car ramps, as the legs of a sort of trestle, with scaffolding poles across, and front to back. Started off with 2 poles between body & chassis, 1 at front, & 1 at the back, used scaffold clamps to attach 2 long poles front to back, down either side of the car, then raised each corner of this frame a bit at a time, supporting on the 'rungs' of the car ramps, until it was high enough, then clamped the lot to the Car ramp 'legs', and it was quite strong & stable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve Pegg said:
This is mine, exactly the same problem as yours, only I don't have the luxury or a garage to store it in overnight! :D
thats just what im after you dont wanna sell or make me one do you :incheek:

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Dude, in a word, no, I get paranoid every time there are strong winds around here! :D It could do with a bit more bracing, but then, it wouldn't roll under withe the wheels in place! It's not that hard to build, I did it in a morning, just mock everything up and measure twice before welding. :hangloose

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
did you use a mig or arc welder to weld the box section on the frame just that iv been told you can only weld box section with a arc welder?

·
Registered
543 Posts
A MIG welder will let you do all the welding you need to do on your car.

ARC welding is harder to do than MIG welding (in my opinion) and is not good on thin sheet steel (car body panels).

I welded up a little trolley for my trekker body this week, using mild steel box section that I had lying around. I have a SIP MIG welder from halfords. It was easy to do cos the steel is about 2.5mm thick and almost impossible to blow holes through. Good fun making it too!

Halfords sell inexpensive MIG welders and all accessories you will need........... only if you are going to do a lot of welding, I advise you to hire a gas canister from BOC instead of buying the small disposable canisters for £8 or whatever they are.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts