Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you tell me is the coroded rail below part of the heater channell or floorpan. Trying to work out what repair panel that would be?

Also is a replacement of a outer front panel expensive to get someone to weld & replace.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
It's supposed to be the floor but it looks like the whole heater channel has been repaired by welding the two together. :tick:

What do you mean by outer front panel? The front valance?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no the outer front panel on just in front of door and that the wing connects to.

So from pic looks like prevoius owner fudged it about.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
You mean the inner wing. No idea how much welders charge but it's pretty straight forward assuming the wing unbolts ok.

Yes, looks like the previous owner or garage did a quick fix for the MOT. Not uncommon. Mine was like that too.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

yeah number 26 in the pic.

It's failed the MOT on this chassis welding, whats the cure for repair? Can a panel be welded in, or is it new heater channels :mad:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
To do the job correctly, it looks like a new heater channel, but if you want to just get it back on the road for a few years until you have time to do the job correctly you can buy another heater channel bottom plate repair panel that welds to the bottom of the heater channel and to the edge of the floor Pan. You'll have to remove the old rusty panel and weld in a shiny new one.
Shouldn't be too hard a job for a good welder, I guess it would cost about £100, thats what I'd charge someone to to it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

Thanks for that. Trouble is both sides been done like that! So would need replacing. Also the front 2 1/4 panels and front panel could do with replacing, if gona visit a welder, but apart from that structrially ok.

So talking roughly £100 a side for temp fix. How much you reckon for 1/4 panels and front panel to be welded? It's a 65 only got the car for £100, so I suppose it could be worth doing?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Without seeing pictures of the rot for myself, its very difficult to give you a rough price for the work, I can only say what sort of money I'd be thinking of charging someone to do some work for them.
Any Beetle is worth saving these days as they are fastly disappearing off our roads at an alarming rate, and yours is a more desirable earlier one.
I guess a ball park figure must be about the £400 mark.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Front wheel wheel

NS Front 1/4 Panel

OS Fron 1/4 Panel Bottom

I know the door shafted as well, tho most most just be ok for a spare wheel well bottom panel as the rest of the front panel seems alright.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Looks like someone's been a bit stingy with the metal and a bit generous with the filler on the inner wings. I'd be inclinded to strip off some of that filler with a wire brush attachment on a grinder to see what lurks (or not as the case may be) beneath. :bandit:

Spare wheel well is an easy repair. I think you can get just the bottom plate or if you're not after perfection then it could be plated very easily. Also, it's debatable as to whether or not it's needed for an MOT.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah spare wheel well not really important, as not MOT-able.

The N/S front panel I know that's got a rust hole filled halfway up as looked down the inside from above, the prevoius owner just slapped some filler in there. With it smoothed off most prob pass, but prefer to replace.

Though the O/S panel the area lower down hard to see in. Like you say have to cut in to have a look.

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
The spare wheel well is not an MOT fail.

Mine had a hole you could put your foot through easilt, and passed the MOT with the spare wheel in place (supported by scraps of oven metal :p)

Now been repaired though :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah think it's snap for mine. So to replace this area is it the inner wing panel then and a 1/4 panel?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok I'll have a closer look, but I think the pillar is ok, just the door and the inner panel that's screwed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts