Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***Updated*** 11 06 06 - New post and pics added

Six months after buying 'Bertie' finally he is getting the love and care he deserves. This weekend is the start of the full heater channel (and surrounding panels) replacement which he has needed since we bought him.

This was Bertie before we started, he has done a couple of thousand miles since we bought him

He looked to be a sound and slightly scruffy little car, although we knew the heater channel needed replacing when we bought him, BUT we didn't expect as much rust as we found. On investigation it looked like he'd had a full body off restoration about 10 years ago includiing the replacement of both heater channels and adjacent panels, it looks like the restorer hadn't considered rust proofing.

Wings and running board removed .......................

Captive nut for running board mounting fell out. Doesn't look too bad so far does it?

Back edge of rear quarter panel / front edge of rear inner wing will need attention

More to follow ........................

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lower door hinge pillar, small hole at bottom

Rear quarter panel

Floor pan needs de-rusting and small hole needs patching

Close up shows the inner sill needs 'a little' attention

Front wing and door also removed - still doesn't look too bad!!

More to follow .....................

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To stop the body flexing too much, three body braces were added

The braces are actually made of old warehouse shelving :eek:

We then started hitting him with hammer and screwdriver, oh fuck!! :eek:

After a little more prodding and poking i.e. hitting (poor Bertie) some more, it showed that the lower rear quarter needs some attention (which we expected), the screwdriver has been inserted by about 3 inches

More to follow .................

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are following the removal of the heater channel, interestingly we didn't need to undo the body bolts nor cut the inner sill separately, after cutting just before the pillars it just pulled off :eek:

This is what the sill and heater channel looked like, the heater pipe was actually intact, not leaking and still passing plenty of hot air, although had a lot of surface rust

That was the end of our long busy day, our intention (hope and pray) is that it be finished by the end of next weekend - well we can live in the land of hope :)

·
Saddest VZi'er 2019
6,766 Posts
VillageLass said:
These are following the removal of the heater channel, interestingly we didn't need to undo the body bolts nor cut the inner sill separately, after cutting just before the pillars it just pulled off :eek:
:)
:eek: is about right, Village Lass! When I finally saved up to have my floorpan and heater channels done, they guys who did it for me said they just kicked the floorpan out, they didn't even need to undo the bolts, it was all so rotten. And I'd been driving it about like that, knowing it needed doing for about 2yrs!!!!

Ahhh, happy days! :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update - 2nd day of work

Today didn't seem as productive for two reasons, one that we went into town to get more cutting discs and a second angle grinder, then when we did get started around 11.00am rain soon halted play, so we lost another 2 hours :(

Here is what happened when we did do something.

Firstly we discovered lots of filler

We then discovered how the last repair panel had been fitted, a surprising amount of the original quarter panel was still there but a home made repair panel had been slid up the inside of the quarter panel, it took a lot of head scratching to figure out how it had been fitted and an absolute age to remove, the picture below shows our frustration

Consequently as there was a double thickness of metal (about a 4" overlap) and a mountain of filler it was fun to remove, the next picture shows a greater thickness of filler than metal, even though the metal was two panels thick

Most of the filler was removed until the original paint was discovered

This isn't me (because I'm a girl!) its my friend and Bertie's co-owner Mr_Wobble hard at work

Having chopped out lots of tin worm (aka rusty bits) at the lower rear quarter / rear inner arch we made some scary large holes, which we were hoping wouldn't appear, but then shit happens, looks like we'll be making a few extra repair patches

To enable us to remove the body/chassis seal we had to grind off the captive nuts for the body mounting bolts as they had stayed behind as we pulled out the rusty heater channel. Then cleaned and de-rusted the edge of the floor pan.

We managed to make a start on the front inner wing removing most of the remaining heater channel, just a piece down into the footwell now remains

A welcome 'day off' tomorrow as were going to York Raceway to watch some Mini's 'v' Beetle's, but back to the grindstone (grinding disc!!) on Monday to continue.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so today we decided to take a day off and go to York to watch the racing which was a lot of fun, but when we got home a feeling of guilt emerged as we had not paid Bertie any attention :( so decided to go out and slap some paint on the rear wing mounting strip and the edge of the floor pan that had been de-rusted yesterday

Looks like a bust day for us tomorrow, pending good weather :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks familiar My Bertie (67 Bug) had the same treatment in January, replaced drivers side heater channel and ended up repalcing drivers side floor pan and inner wing as well, oh and the lower section behind the door as well. all done now and the dispar of chaising rust around the car seems a distant memory...

Keep it up Its definatly worth it ... :crazy:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today has been a slow one today, neither of us felt the need to get out of bed and when we did it proceeded to piss down with rain, so didn't manage to get outside till early afternoon. When we did get started I managed to make holes rather than reapir them. I decided to remove the rear wheel and chase down some of the rusty areas, anyway I discovered that the rust went all the way through and what appeared to be a thumb nail sized patch of rust turned into this

So instead of getting on with the main job we ended up making a repair panel so at least the hole I made got patched up, and now looks like this

Whilst I was busy making holes my partner in crime 'Mr_Wobble' was cutting out the rest of the old heater channel in the front wing and making a repair patch for a hole in the edge of the floor pan which now currently looks like this

Mr_Wobble also managed to straighten out the edge of the floor pan that looked like it had been bent by someone (not us) jacking the car up on it.

Other than doing a little bit of rust proofing that was all we managed today :( hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for the weather and Bertie will get his first fitting of his new heater channel! :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This was yesterday's action, I couldn't post last night as my bloody internet connection didn't work :(

Initally we did a little more tidying and trimming and then offerred up the heater channel and woohooo! it fitted

In the front inner wing we discoverd three layers of metal in places, so the removal began, the difficulty was working out how it had been previously repaired, so the unpicking process was slow but rewarding

At the moment the inner wing now looks like this

The rear inner wing had some smoothrite applied which made it look heaps better

Then little me thought I would chase a bit more rust out that hadn't been painted and ended up making another hole

I think by the end of our repairs I will be known as the hole maker and not the repairer!! I don't think Mr_Wobble will let me near his Baja :eek: not with a hammer and chisel anyway!

This morning rain has stopped us again :( (bloody english weather) but it has started to fair up now, so with a bit of luck we'll be outside soon :D

·
Highly Respected Member
2,583 Posts
VillageLass said:
This was yesterday's action, I couldn't post last night as my bloody internet connection didn't work :(

Initally we did a little more tidying and trimming and then offerred up the heater channel and woohooo! it fitted

In the front inner wing we discoverd three layers of metal in places, so the removal began, the difficulty was working out how it had been previously repaired, so the unpicking process was slow but rewarding

At the moment the inner wing now looks like this

The rear inner wing had some smoothrite applied which made it look heaps better

Then little me thought I would chase a bit more rust out that hadn't been painted and ended up making another hole

I think by the end of our repairs I will be known as the hole maker and not the repairer!! I don't think Mr_Wobble will let me near his Baja :eek: not with a hammer and chisel anyway!

This morning rain has stopped us again :( (bloody english weather) but it has started to fair up now, so with a bit of luck we'll be outside soon :D
For ease I would have replaced the rear suspension panel rather than spend all that time patching it, for the sake of a few pounds, just my view anyway.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
looks like top job there!!

speaking as someone who has done this a good few times i can recommend using some 3m grey seam sealer to go over the welds when they are done; makes em look super lush and keeps the water at bay forever...
keep on truckin, its so nice to read about someone else doing it !!! :hangloose

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
karlito said:
looks like top job there!!

keep on truckin, its so nice to read about someone else doing it !!! :hangloose
Thanks very much we are trying really hard to make sure it's a top job and looks good when completed.

Today was a wash out, it kept raining so we only managed to weld on a repair patch :( Instead I talked Mr_Wobble into going to Ikea, so we had tea out and drove to Leeds for a good look round, which included lying on every bed!! :D

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Mini update. Not a lot done today either thanks to the showers. However, the rear inner wing patch was tidied up, painted, and paint was put up into the rear quarter panel, and most of the rear inner wheel arch covered in a good layer of gunky underseal. :)

A small corner of the floorpan had been getting rusty, so that was cut out and patched too. That little extra time cost us getting the heater channel bolted in position today. And we need it bolted in so we can trim the repair panels for the door hinge pillar and rear quarter panel.

Although it's not one of the tasks we'd set ourselves this week, but one that needs doing in the next few weeks, we stripped the driver's side floorpan of all the old sound deadening material. A soul destroying time of chipping away with chisels and screwdrivers. If it weren't for that we would've made some good progres in other areas, but with all the other panels out (especially the heater channel and front inner wing) it gives us easy access to do the job now.

The heater channel is almost in there. Had to trim a little more in the front bulkhead, only then to find the heater channel was fouling on the seat runners! :confused: ...So out with the angle grinder, jigsaw and files to trim it down. Offered it back up, and it still fouled. Doh! Just a little bit more to trim - but then it started to rain. Rain which was set in for the day.

Will add pics to the next update, when we work on him again, which (weather willing) should be Saturday, as we both have other commitments tomorrow (Friday).

:hangloose

1 - 20 of 76 Posts