Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
A few guys run Koni reds but they have no adjustment, most of the guys i know run 1.9"dia coilovers which can be adjusted for damping, height and spring rate which means you can tweek em up at the track and back em off for the road, we prefer AVO's but there are other makes like GAZ or Spax. Expect to pay about £180 apair.

Daz

·
Premium Member
27,157 Posts
It really does depend on the combo you're running, i personally wouldn't use coilovers on a bug unless the original springs were removed, some of the cars we've run over the years have required the back to be extremely soft to get grip others have needed to be almost rigid, there isn't a 'one size fits all' set up for rear suspension. :)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It really does depend on the combo you're running, i personally wouldn't use coilovers on a bug unless the original springs were removed, some of the cars we've run over the years have required the back to be extremely soft to get grip others have needed to be almost rigid, there isn't a 'one size fits all' set up for rear suspension. :)
We only run 1.9" coilovers with stock torsion bars or 2.25" with ladderbar setup. The only other option is larger torsion bars with no adjustment which means your stuck with what you got, atleast at the track. You said that all your cars were different Ken, surely a coilover would have helped setting them up. I do agree with you that all cars are different, even sometimes same car but different track means adjustments, which brings us back to coilovers again.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
They do - you turn them anti clockwise or clockwise to adjust. Obviously they can only be adjusted if removed.

:)
Sorry, never realized, never used them, it's only damping adjustment though but better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
27,157 Posts
We only run 1.9" coilovers with stock torsion bars or 2.25" with ladderbar setup. The only other option is larger torsion bars with no adjustment which means your stuck with what you got, atleast at the track. You said that all your cars were different Ken, surely a coilover would have helped setting them up. I do agree with you that all cars are different, even sometimes same car but different track means adjustments, which brings us back to coilovers again.
Adjustable spring plates and shocks, all the adjustment you'll ever need, never seen the point of 2 springs per wheel unless you're building an off roader and planning to jump things. :)

·
Shitstormer
1,434 Posts
Adjustable spring plates and shocks, all the adjustment you'll ever need, never seen the point of 2 springs per wheel unless you're building an off roader and planning to jump things. :)
Ken what beetles have you built and run with your suggested setup?

All you need to add is some 30mm torsion bars and some bus bump stops for a really shit set up :lol:

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Am so confused now its making my head hurt

At the mo my oval got air ride rear shocks on the back, there soft and adjustable abit like these

http://www.jcwhitney.com/GABRIEL-AI...RS/GP_2006146_N_111+10201+600015545_10101.jcw

The one thing I don't get is they have an air value on them so you can let the air out and the car will drop about 4" or pump them up (on a car pump) and it rises about 4",, now would it be just the shocks doing this or would someone have to have messed with the rear suspension/torsion bars/removed?? etc,, anyway am not getting bad lunches on the strip with these but am thinking i could shave a few 0.10's of my time with firmer shocks, was looking on ssp and was thinking about the KYB GS2 stocks

http://www.vwheritage.com/ssp/Shock-Absorbers/?templateID=ssp

AVO's are out of my price range for now ;)

·
Premium Member
27,157 Posts
Am so confused now its making my head hurt

At the mo my oval got air ride rear shocks on the back, there soft and adjustable abit like these

http://www.jcwhitney.com/GABRIEL-AI...RS/GP_2006146_N_111+10201+600015545_10101.jcw

The one thing I don't get is they have an air value on them so you can let the air out and the car will drop about 4" or pump them up (on a car pump) and it rises about 4",, now would it be just the shocks doing this or would someone have to have messed with the rear suspension/torsion bars/removed?? etc,, anyway am not getting bad lunches on the strip with these but am thinking i could shave a few 0.10's of my time with firmer shocks, was looking on ssp and was thinking about the KYB GS2 stocks

http://www.vwheritage.com/ssp/Shock-Absorbers/?templateID=ssp

AVO's are out of my price range for now ;)
A good set of adjustable shocks is always a good starting point IF you still have the original springs in place, everyone has their own way of doing things, i'm sure with a bit of tinkering you'll suss what suits your car best. :)

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A good set of adjustable shocks is always a good starting point IF you still have the original springs in place, everyone has their own way of doing things, i'm sure with a bit of tinkering you'll suss what suits your car best. :)
By original springs i take it you mean spring plates? sorry to be num :confused:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Using your own question how many cars have YOU set up using your method?

If all cars responded in the same way then i'd happily agree with what you suggest but they don't. :)
Couldn't tell you how many i've done since i started racing in "87", but i can tell you some from recent years;

Glynn Morgan 3x Pro champ
Paul H 9,s
Steve Parfitt 11.2,s
Nige Hull 11.8,s in a full steel oval street car
Colin Jardine 11.5,s " " " " " " " "
DTH 11.5,s as above

80% of the ACE cars.

All the above run 1.9" AVO's with a mild spring and stock torsion bars.

·
Premium Member
27,157 Posts
Couldn't tell you how many i've done since i started racing in "87", but i can tell you some from recent years;

Glynn Morgan 3x Pro champ
Paul H A 9
Steve Parfitt 11.2,s
Nige Hull 11.8,s in a full steel oval street car
Colin Jardine 11.5,s " " " " " " " "
DTH 11.5,s as above

80% of the ACE cars.

All the above run 1.9" AVO's with a mild spring and stock torsion bars.
It works for some no doubt, as we both said earlier in the thread not all cars react the same and there's always more than one way to get there, the OP asked for opinions, he's getting them, it's all good. :)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It works for some no doubt, as we both said earlier in the thread not all cars react the same and there's always more than one way to get there, the OP asked for opinions, he's getting them, it's all good. :)
Agreed,:cool:

Hope to see you out at York in that mad engine/ buggy combo, that will be entertaining whatever shox setup is on it :eek:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.