Volkszone Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yes that kit is for swing axal, but we do uniball for irs cars, can not comment on weather your heavy car will handle uni ball on the street, not done that my self so dont no. cant see why not ??
Nah, I meant the lower bolt of the coil-over, threaded in from only one side into the alu trailing arm, carrying all the weight of the rear end if you remove the torsion bars :rolleyes:
Do you have experience with that set-up on the street/track?

·
Banned
4,064 Posts
Nah, I meant the lower bolt of the coil-over, threaded in from only one side into the alu trailing arm, carrying all the weight of the rear end if you remove the torsion bars :rolleyes:
Do you have experience with that set-up on the street/track?
o right i get you;) no i would not do that mate.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Guys
Thought I might rejuvenate this thread as I'm after some rear shocks and some advice for the type of AVO and also what to put on the front.

I have measured the length of the shock when the car is sat at the desired ride hieight, the is 325mm (12.8") bolt centre to bolt centre.
Its a split bug with a 2276 EFI with VW IRS, stock torsion bar and anti roll bar set up, and will be used for street and strip action. (bump stop welding up to come, or straps)
What length 1.9" dia coil over do I need and I what spring poundage, (I assume in the region of 150lb?).
Also who do I get them from? I knw paul used to do them at VSM? can't see them on the website anymore.

Also what do you use on the front?, I have a narrowed link pin front again with a HD anti roll bar, and no bump stops. Would quite like bump stops to try and save the front valance, but they went years ago, so perhaps some with an adjustable bump stop in them?

Hope you guys can help again!
Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
885 Posts
Does anyone have a link or where’s the best place to buy a set of AVO rear coil overs ? - For 64 bug with swing axel gearbox

I’m currently running adjustable GAZ on rear but like the idea of being able to dial in my rear ride height etc without the hassle of fitting adjustable swing plates.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I found a few pairs of those in the stores I can check later.
If you could Paul that'd be great. Alternatively AVO UK have a decent website or you can order over the phone, but you need all the measurements, spring rates etc....
Had a look on AVO website - all I can find listed for swing axle bug is part number TB436 for £60.00 - doesn't state if these are coil over's or standard type shocks- I would guess at that price they would be standard?

Spring rate 125lb-150lb as per Dirty Nige's post, but what length rear shock are other people typically running?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just checked and don't have the suitable length which is a 140/95 or a 150/?? basically 14 inch open and 9.5 closed was what I used to sell most of.
I have a load of springs to get shut of £20 a pair I'll list them up on here.
Also have some spigot tops for the front and some bus ones.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I just checked and don't have the suitable length which is a 140/95 or a 150/?? basically 14 inch open and 9.5 closed was what I used to sell most of.
I run a 13" open pair of GAZ 150lb spring'd coilovers. They are just right to have the wheels still vertical with no camber when jacked up.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Well that's OK so long as the construction of the shock can handle the "top out" and they both "top out" at exactly the same moment
Yep. With the height I have them set at, on the road I've not felt them top out in 500 miles. There is a few inches between settled height and jacked up height and I guess they're not far away from topping out but aren't quite there, even on the return road at York.

My limit blocks / straps only let the wheels hang 1/2 an inch lower so its not as if the shocks are way too short.

·
Registered
885 Posts
That'll just be the insert, spring will be added cost on top of that, think they're about £25 each. That would tie in with the estimated cost of £170 - £180 previously quoted..
Called AVO direct the part listed on their website was just a telescopic shock not coil over.

Ordered a pair of 14" open 9.5" closed coil overs, 1.9dia - 150lb springs, came to £260 all in with postage inc VAT. :)

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.