Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi.
ive got a few rust spots and so far when ive used rust remover on the spot i want to derust and spray up again the spot of rust reapears a few months down the line after ive resprayed it all again ?
is it the type of rust remover im using ( hammerite gel ) any good .

does any one have a fool proof tip for rust proofing ???

·
Highly Respected Member
13,501 Posts
POR 15 gets my vote, but with any rust treatment you have to make sure you get ALL the rust. If you miss any, including rust on the other side of the panel, it will soon be back.

Most rust starts from the inside and works outwards, so if you're treating spots on the outside. chances are it's much worse on the other side of the panel.

Cut out and replace is the only 100% way to be rid of rot.

Dave.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so when you say remove the rust you mean grind out the afected metal then patch up thew whole with fibreglass and filler ect ?

·
Highly Respected Member
13,501 Posts
jez33 said:
so when you say remove the rust you mean grind out the afected metal then patch up thew whole with fibreglass and filler ect ?
I meant replace with new steel (weld a new section in)

I suppose fibreglass is OK for non-structural or cosmetic parts (say beetle wings) but on the main shell, cutting out and welding in is the only way to completley cure panels that are rusting through.

For surface rust, sand back to shiny steel, prime and paint is fine, but often rust that looks like surface rust can be coming from the other side, so be wary. If it keeps coming back after a few weeks or months, it's likley coming through from the other side.

Dave.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Krust worked wonders for me.

When i restored my Bay Window I treatewd all rust spots with krust. I Rubbed all affected areas with a wire brush until all loose metal had been removed, cleaned and left it to dry and then applied Krust.

Within about 2 hours I was able to paint straight onto it as the Krust also acts as a primer.

Down side to Krust is that if you get it onto a non affected area, ie paint, it stains it black.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Agree with Cheza, Kurust is the best I've found yet and as well as VW's i've owned loads of 70's/80's alfa romeo's - so I've tried a fair few products!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
zac said:
What about POR- Metal Ready? Eats rust and leaves a zinc layer for protection.
Fantastic stuff, I've bare metalled stuff and sprayed it with this then left it bare for months without it going rusty again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts