Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 1302s beetle, all stock with original stock wheels.
I would really like thicker tyres/rims, but saw there are loads out there really.

I wondered if it's a straight forward thing to swap rims and put news one son e.g are there any modifications needed?

Also I wondered what all your opinions on what would work best for a 1302s, appearance wise and technical etc. The colour is silver -I wondered if black would look nice with the silver...

so basically wondered what your opinions are.

thanks,

jo7

·
Registered
557 Posts
I put sprint stars on mine :) Most of the usual choices are five bolt, so you'll need to decide whether you want to change hubs etc or stick with four bolt.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I had a set of coated centrelines on my fat bitch. They looked mean with 205 65's on the rear and 165 50's on the front. Didn't like the shiny look of them so was glad that the previous owner had them blasted and dipped to stop the rust.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
you can use pretty much any wheel that is sold for beetles. being a 1302 doesn't make a lot of difference in that respect. i have 5.5J centerlines on mine & because they are cheap wheels the offset is horrible they stick out past the wheel arches.

it depends on personal taste which wheels look good in which colour. my car looks like a '70s moonshine runner (dukes of hazzard style) & has big 195/65s on satin black centerlines. mine's lowered 50mm at the front, any lower than that and the tyres would be spanking the wheelarches over every pothole.

be aware that if you buy used alloy wheels you will have to buy wheel bolts to match (unless they come with the wheels). new wheels normally come with the required bolts. you cannot use the stock bolts & you should avoid buying wheels that have been fitted with the wrong bolts (the bolt seating faces will be all mashed up).

·
I really must get out more
6,159 Posts
Stock beetle 4 stud you have a choice of

Empi 8 spoke
Centreline alloys
Wolfrace slotted alloys
Ats classics
Etc all usually available in the correct offset

If you change to 5 stud porsche thenbyou have much more choice but might need to play with offsets and spacers and so on

Google german look for some inspiration on these

My money would be on the Ats if you can find a set at a reasonable price

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,528 Posts
why would you do that? gt wheels look awful :eek:
Not always. Black GT wheels on low bugs look good to me, and I think they look good on Jeans beetles.

The problem with GT wheels is that they are usually dented, rusty and/or badly painted, and missing the centre caps and OEM bolt caps which set them off nicely.

I'm a big fan of the bigger Porsche wheels on 1302's and 1303's. not necessarily modern wheels, 16 inch Fuchs look good IMO, provided the suspension has been tweaked.

·
Premium Member
43,924 Posts
Not always. Black GT wheels on low bugs look good to me, and I think they look good on Jeans beetles.

The problem with GT wheels is that they are usually dented, rusty and/or badly painted, and missing the centre caps and OEM bolt caps which set them off nicely.

I'm a big fan of the bigger Porsche wheels on 1302's and 1303's. not necessarily modern wheels, 16 inch Fuchs look good IMO, provided the suspension has been tweaked.
i agree with you on the bigger porsche wheels.

i think we'll agree to disagree on the gts. they leave me pretty cold i have to say, especially when there's so many good looking wheels out there. :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
I Have 5.5j Riveas all round on my 1303 which were on my 1302s

i painted one to see how it looked with a polished lip which turned out to be ok

Running 165/45/r15 on the front and 175/70/r15 on the rear

Two splines on the rear and doesn't rub, the front doesn't rub either

On the 1302s

Sorry for the picture whoring hahah

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

my beetle is the same colour as that (all silver - no rally theme or black paint)

I think the black kind of looks nice with the silver - not sure what the wheels used on that are?

ps great suggestions so far - i'm still looking at them all

pss can a higher back be achieved without lowering suspension etc, but instead getting bigger back wheels or can the back be raised easily?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Or 5.5 inch O.E. style wheels. These are chrome but silver is available and you can paint them any colour you like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I like these- are they 4 or 5 bolt and what are they called?

also I like these which look like 5 bolt - not sure what they are called

·
I really must get out more
6,159 Posts

I like these- are they 4 or 5 bolt and what are they called?

also I like these which look like 5 bolt - not sure what they are called

the top ones look like AMG Penta style (merc), the bottom ones are Porsche cookie cutters

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I've got stock chrome 5.5" on the front, and stock chrome 6.5" on the rear. Looks awesome.
what does that look like having the 6.5'' on the rear? - that sounds quite nice

I guess it looks slightly higher at the rear - a look i'd like

I also like the look of tyres/rims being this thickness as the original stock on my beetle look really thin

1 - 20 of 37 Posts