Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
SO i got a 1200, the one without the vented deck lid. I am building a 1776 turbo for her.

I would prefer to keep the lid stock and i dont want standoffs. I was thinking cutting a 4inch hole through the firewall, and ducting though a 90 bend into the luggage area.
Would that work? Problem i could see is its over the gear box and there maybe hot air sucked up when not moving.

I know the easy option is to put in a vented lid but i like the car, all pannels except one wing are origional. etc

thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Normally I’d say next to the gearbox but…..

There was a you-tube series on a turbo charge cooler set up and he found it was poor at cooling. I suspect his water flow was not good enough to keep the temps down and you need plenty of air forced through the rad. You can’t hang it it mid air without a pressure difference across it and no path around it. Or use a shrouded fan.

EFI or carb?

Here’s a motivational video (not mine btw!)

https://youtu.be/aeIzy-GWmHE

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Normally I’d say next to the gearbox but…..

There was a you-tube series on a turbo charge cooler set up and he found it was poor at cooling. I suspect his water flow was not good enough to keep the temps down and you need plenty of air forced through the rad. You can’t hang it it mid air without a pressure difference across it and no path around it. Or use a shrouded fan.

EFI or carb?

Here’s a motivational video (not mine btw!)

EFI, using mexi ends centre throttle body, EV6 injectors, wasted spark (megasquirt) barrel charge cooler.
I had a feeling g'box mounted rad might be crap but was thiking as big and as many cores i can get there with a high flow pump/fans etc off to watch the vid now. thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
EFI gets a thumbs up. Vw speed shop do a nice trigger pulley if you need one.

I’d also suggest checking out the shoptalkforums forced induction section if have questions. Plenty of experience there . Mario from dubshop etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Add some speed holes behind the number plate - it helped a lot with my 2332 motor - I ended up grafting in some vents from a 1500 which helped some more.

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
I've got the 90 degree pipes where you're thinking and they seem to work well.
Also like the idea of the holes behind a subtly stood off number plate.
What about a fairly shallow but wide intake to a pipe ducting to intercooler slightly to the side of the centre of gearbox
mines not a turbo but have got an external cooler there and some motorbike rad fans on a thermoswitch.
Trying to work out placement for similar on the fastback (turbo and f.i), let us know how you get on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts