Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL. I'M HAVING A LOT OF PROBS WITH BLEEDING THE AIR FROM MY 72 BAY'S BRAKES.
iv'e replaced all the flexy pipes and all the metal pipes except the front to back pipe which looked in good condition. (i can only see some bits as the van has belly pans)
i can get fluid from the calipars and the pedal is getting better. i can get some fluid from the rear but only a small amount.
so i went out and bought a pressure bleed kit from halfords. i get fluid from the calipars but nothing from the rear.
is there something i'm missing here. is there a special proceedure to go through and what about the pressure regulator which also has a bleed nipple on it. do i need the van's rear end higher or lower to open the regulator valve?
your comments would be much appreciated. cheers

·
I really must get out more
6,763 Posts
Yes you do need to bleed the regulator valve.

You dont need to tilt the van when bleeding the rears.

You dont need a pressure bleed kit to do this job.

If you have air in the regulator then it might explain your problem.

You did not mention whether the pedal is hard or goes to the floor when the fluid is not coming out of the rear cylinder bleed nipples. If it goes to the floor, they might be clogged up and hence your just compressing air when you pump.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hi, I recently changed the master cylinder on my bay and bleeding the brakes was a biatch! took me 3 goes over 5 days to get it right it really was a "if at first you don't succeed" thing, some people recommend opening all the nipples and leaving it to self-bleed for a while - it does work but makes a right mess (but no worse than the oil-stains you probably already have :))

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
many thanks for the input.
first off, i was bleeding the fronts and moved on to the rears. all four were passing fluid and the pedal was going about two thirds of the way to the floor while i was bleeding. then i spotted the nipple on the regulator. so i bled that and the pedal was going all the way to the floor while bleeding.
after that the pedal was lowish and spongy. it was then i started to use the pressure kit but with that i couldn't get any fluid out of the rear.
i changed the master cylinder a couple of years ago and had no probs bleeding the system out. still thinking about this regulator. it works on a ball valve mech as far as i can tell. thats why i was thinking about what level the van should be on when bleeding the system.

·
Registered
10,721 Posts
cant really help with your problem but mine were doing the same...turned out my brake big black thing was shot.Replaced and all was well...

All the people ive spoken to regarding bleeding brakes have said...start with the one fervest away from the master...ie LHD= rh rear etc

·
Registered
10,721 Posts
yeah...the real expensive bit :D

Sorry Dude...after 2 bottles of wine the mind forgets what things are called!!!the spellings allways bad tho :D

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers. i have a spare one in my workshop somewhere. going to have another look tomorrow.
must say that the feel of bleeding the system changed after i bled the regulator. still not clear as to how it works. when i find the spare one, if it comes apart, one of them will be in pieces in the morning!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts