Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got the original style one you have to shape from status vw.

which way up is best?

O____O would be easier to lie on the pan before dropping the body perhaps?

.______
O . . . .O would be less likely to collect water?

does it even matter? its going to flatten a bit anyway

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I've doen half a dozen in the past and struck with 0_0

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool, cheers guys, yea I still have a few of those mean little nails although I think I'll probably try to glue it in a few places with something instead - I dont like the idea of nailing my floorpan

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I use lots of Tiger seal - don't use anything domestic because it probably has acids in it to stop mould growth which slowly attack paints.

I glue the seal onto the pan, let it cure over night and then drop the body on the next day, with a liberal squirt of Tiger seal on the outer edge. Once the body s bolted back down tioght, go round the visible edges with a wet finger to smooth the join and remove the excess.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...why did the factory nail it ?
I'm guessing sealants/adhesives weren't so advanced in the 50s, vw did seem to have a bit of a thing for nails tho; even my 1990 caddy carpets were nailed using the same little nails.

I'm not sure about using tiger seal/silkaflex for the outer edges, I would be inclined to go for a sealant rather than an adhesive as I will want to separate body and pan again at some point for sure. I was reconing on using your standard evostick roof and gutter sealer, which as well as never really setting has the advantage of being dirt cheap!

any opinions on that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts