Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 799 Posts

·
hush yer gums!
19,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the time has come....

i suppose i better share the big secret i have been harbouring for the last while with ya'all....

the vast majority of ya' know that i like my vw adventures, the latest one we are planning is down off the mountains, out of the snow and onto the salt.

we are currently building 2 cars in california to race in the 36hp World Land Speed Challenge, the one we are running next year ( 2009 World of Speed event) is a 65 ghia, which Britt Grannis will pilot and then in 2010 ( again at the World of speed event), i will be running a 58 ragtop bug on the salt, the bug is called "Lucky Charm"

i am running in collaboration with my good buddy britt grannis from california, the bodys and chassis of both vehicles are getting built and assembled in Nor Cal and the engines and gearboxes are getting built in Ireland.

i have no pictures or any further details presently as we will be playing our game plan(s) close to our chests purely for competitive reasons, but once i get back to ireland after vw action i will update the thread with some more details

At this point right at the beginning of our public journey ( we have been planning away privately in the background for a little under a year now) i have to thank the following people:

Sir BB
Ken Blomer @ automanics
DD Racing
Paul Knight
RNJ Motorsport
I.D.A
rule6.co.uk
NCHRS
Crown sunglasses
Manzo @ oddballimports
Paul, mick and the gang @ Brads
Burly

and of course my long term vw race partner Britt.

A handful of people on here know about this already ;) but i thought it was high time we let the rest of ya'all know :D
Stevie H is also making the journey alongside us :) come September we will be looking for sponsors for the two vehicles.

as i said ( typed) ^^^^ more details in september....watch this space ;)

cheers
paul :D

ps...maybe now my signature makes sense ;)

·
hush yer gums!
19,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ps...if anyone doubts that we will actually do it...ask anyone who knows us ;) we WILL make the salt and we WILL race there.....no matter what ;)

the meaning of life....is to live it!
cheers

·
Banned
14,779 Posts
Great to hear your up to something different :cool:

Any idea what wheels you'll be using as they don't use rubber do they ? :)

·
hush yer gums!
19,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great to hear your up to something different :cool:

Any idea what wheels you'll be using as they don't use rubber do they ? :)
i will be running in the stone stock ( some would say the hardest) class, which means we will be running, stock rimmage with moondiscs and realatively normal street tyres, the vehicles have to be street legal in the state of Utah :)

cheers

ps....i got your pm the other week danny, ive just been real busy, what with my house move and what not, but ill reply when i get a mo dude ;)

·
hush yer gums!
19,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:D just try and stop me coming and helping mate
dude...you and polly have been part of our small team since day 1 ;)

one of the reasons we are doing this challenge is to prove that the average person can realise their dreams, neither britt or myself have any great amount of money but we do have a vision...one of adventure and one of racing aircooled vws on the salt flats of Bonneville....

cheers

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
To date, Dick Beiths original 36hp record of 101.296 miles per hour set in 1961 has remained out of reach, despite forty five years of technological advancements. Will this be the year a new all time top speed for a 36hp engine Beetle will be established?

been reading this site since i herd about it.
http://www.saltflats.com/36_HP.html
quite cool. wasnt there a mag feature last year of the 36hp challenge?

32,496 Posts
Cool.

So, you running it as a 36hp class car Paul? i was re-reading the stuff that was in Volksworld about the classes the other morning and planning how i'd do it if suddenly everything else in the world disapeared and there was only the Salt.

I love the look of those SCTA specials, would love to go out there and see it all myself, i even sussed your sig ;)

I won't say hope you make it, cos i know you will, but i will say Good Luck, and if i can help in any way, pick up the phone.

Lucky Charm? lets hope it ends up frosted (with salt)

·
Keepin' It Casual
15,934 Posts

:D Sponsor oppurtunity lol?:lol:

Had an inkling from the sig.......must admit,i'd love a go inna bellytank,but i'd never fit in one!:lol: Or to take a roadster round the flats or el mirage.....something for a day in the future. Glad you're making your future happen for yourself:). I'm shit at most everything:lol:,but if i can help y'know..

1 - 20 of 799 Posts