Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1970 Bay with front discs, i've been playing with the brakes this morning and think that the calipers are seized. When i press the brake pedal the brakes apply but they do not come fully off, really hard to turn wheel.
I've just had a look on vw heritage and the calipers are £176 incl surcharge or £15 for a caliper repair kit per side.
Thats either £350 or £30.
Not really a hard choice, but has any one ever used the repair kits?
Would new brake hoses also be required or should i change these anyway?
http://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/VW-Ca...s-1968-79/Brakes/Front-Brakes/?templateID=vwh

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
in principle repair kits are fine, the problems are age related seized nipples and clamping bolts rusted and seized, tho in your case, with the early calipers, whats to loose? soak em in plus gas overnight before hand, blow the pistons out with compressed air, remembering not to have your fingers in there eh! and new hoses obviously..

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Already taken the drivers side caliper to pieces to check but never popped the pistons to check.
Might try a rebuild kit and new hoses.
What do the rebuild kits consist of?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Take the caliper off the disc, but keep it plumbed into the brake line, then press the brake pedal followed by pushing the piston back in with a G-clamp or prefereable a brake caliper piston wind in tool. Do this repeatedly and it will often free up seized calipers. Make sure you dont push the brake pedal so far that the piston pops out the caliper though!

This 'fix' will usually only work for 6 months or so before the cause of the problem makes them seize again... better off getting new calipers. I also think just campers do a conversion kit to allow later calipers to fit early disc spindles (its only the bolt sizes which differ from the fixing if i remember)

Also ensure your brake hoses are good because a breakdown internally can have the effect of creating a 'valve' the pressure of brake fluid from the master cylinder can push past this but there isnt sufficient force to push back the other way, hense the caliper locks and will not release.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
your bay would have originally had drums so the likelyhood is that you have later discs and calipers anyway, change the hoses as already discussed, i've had this happen several times and it is always hoses

cheers kev
Not necessarily, but perhaps. I think the early type disc where fitted from '71 models onwards hence a van built in the 3rd quarter of 1970 would have these - the reason I know this... my bay was first registered in dec 1970 but is a 1971 model.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Exactamondo

Or if you can get the calipers etc cheaper elsewhere or second hand from ebay etc you can just but the fixing adapter things
http://shop.justkampers.com/product...10702?osCsid=5f16274d1081513169dbb3b7fafbc8bc
This kit just looks like 4 Bolters, 4 washers and 4 bushes.
The threads of the bolts must be the same as the ones into the backing plate.
Think im gonna try new hoses first and then maybe look at calipers rebuild / upgrade.
If i decided to upgraed the calipers to the later type would i also need new discs?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just order new brake hoses from Kingfisher Kustoms. £30 for all 4 corners (and £4.50 P&P).
Hopefully this and a change of brake fluid should do the trick, if not its back to caliper rebuild / upgrade

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
7,988 Posts
HELLO PLEASE

-I HAVE A PAIR OF 72 ON SPINDLES
-ALL CLEANED AND PAINTED
-AND SOME 72 ON BACK PATES 'THEY ARE DIFFERENT'

AND I'LL SWAPSIES FOR YOUR 70 ONES

-PS

BOLT SPACING ON 70 SPINDLES IS 89MM 3.5 INCH

-LATER BAY 72 ON IS 94 OR 96 -I CANT REMEMBER

-70 IS M12 BOLTS

72 ON IS M14

-THE DISCS ARE DIFFERENT TOO, ALTHOUGH THEY ARE ALL 276MM AROUND AND THE GIRTH I THINK IS THE SAME

-THEY HAVE A DIFFERING OFFSET - OR HAT SIIZE

70 BAY IS 82MM

72 ON BAY IS 86MM

-THE HUBS ARE IDENTICAL

-THE SPINDLE ON THE LATER ONES IF YOU LIKE HAS A BIGGER LUG -DEEPER - TAKES MORE THREADS - HENSE THE OFFSETS CHANGED -4MM EXTRA THREAD DEPTH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.