Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brake servo upgrade 54 oval

I need to rebuild the entire braking system on my 54.
Just wondering what's my best option for upgrading the servo?
I'm keeping stock drums etc.
Cheers,
Olson
:)

·
Premium Member
8,879 Posts
VW didn't fit a servo on a '54 Beetle. Do you mean the Master cylinder ?
If you are not concerned with originality, you can 'upgrade' to the later 'dual circuit' Master cylinder, but it won't improve the braking. You'll need the appropriate fluid reservoir, and somewhere to fit it. In a completely new system, consider using Silicone Brake fluid, which does not deteriorate like the ordinary stuff. Again, it will not improve braking, but I found it helps prevent internal corrosion.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry yes, master cyclinder.
I'm not bothered with originality.
What, if any advantages are there with dual circuit then?

·
Premium Member
8,879 Posts
Ollatron said:
Sorry yes, master cyclinder.
I'm not bothered with originality.
What, if any advantages are there with dual circuit then?
In theory, if one circuit fails, you have the other one to stop the car. In practice, what you get is less than half the original braking capacity, (but I suppose that's better than what you get after a failure in a single circuit system, i.e. nothing).
Dual circuit is much more expensive, (like more than double the price of a new single circuit M/Cyl.).

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
for your aplication use a std 70s bug master cylinder
you will need to use a different brake fluid tank.
also if your keeping wide 5 drums bin the oval ones with the skinny brake shoes and fit later wide 5 drums upfront you should be able to get all pre 67 drums to fit up front and out back fir 70s backing plates and 70s hydro parts under stock up to 67 drums (it just fits ) i had this rear combo on my car before i went for rear discs ..
this should give you 20% bigger brakes up front & 30% bigger out back. (than stock oval)
your wheels however may be pushed out a few mm by the wider brums but if you run brms up front on your car the std center caps will fit with the later stuff. they wont fit with the early drums.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I never realised later wide 5 fronts were bigger.
I ran type 3 drums on the back of my old oval and they worked a treat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts