Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Yep, they're powered by a 1.4 Lupo/Fox/Polo engine, still bloody pricey to get one to the UK though.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Saw them at Vanfest last year.

Not keen myself.

But on the plus side in a couple of years time it will make dumping a scoopi engine into one a piece of piss.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,678 Posts
Awful fucking things, I have seen a few hire ones around. Danbury do a camper conversion. It is a nice conversion, expensive though.

·
Banned
18,444 Posts
Hay don't knock them ..they are the reason there are still so many genuine VW bits avalable for yer old bus

But they do look abit ...well Fugly realy dont they ..but the dash is nice

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Awful fucking things, I have seen a few hire ones around. Danbury do a camper conversion. It is a nice conversion, expensive though.
You are wrong. :moon:
These vans are nice, made by vw, and mark my words, in 15 years the person who bought one new and looked after it will be smug, having a nice condition use-able bay camper. It will be retro. It will be accepted in the vw community.
You'll see !

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hay don't knock them ..they are the reason there are still so many genuine VW bits avalable for yer old bus

But they do look abit ...well Fugly realy dont they ..but the dash is nice
i'm not sure about that, just about everything is different on the new ones....

if i needed a new front end i'm not gona get a new mexican, or mirrors, or bumpers, or grill, or doors or handles or lights or roof....

·
I really must get out more
6,763 Posts
I heard there are issues with build quality and rust resistance but I dont have any personal experience.

As Clarkson sais - very expensive conversion.

·
Registered
873 Posts
These vans are nice, made by vw, and mark my words, in 15 years the person who bought one new and looked after it will be smug, having a nice condition use-able bay camper. It will be retro. It will be accepted in the vw community.
You'll see !
only as smug as someone with an "original" that has looked after it...

I hope that was a joke.
:lol::lol:

·
52,678 Posts
You'll see !
Er, no they won't. They would have all turned to dust in 15 years time. There is an '03 Brazilian Bay near us that has more rust than my '68. They are built to be utility vehicles for the South American masses, they are not comparable to '68 - '79 buses. The only reason that they are over here is that a few importers have worked out that people wear rose tinted specs and have more money than sense.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I thought i'd hate these, but they don't look too bad with a colour coded grill, some converters have come up with a vented nose mounted mock spare wheel carrier which hides the grille quite well.
Dunno how they'll fare corrosion wise though

·
52,678 Posts
Sills, underseat panels , arches , clips , and other stuff to
...Seals, gearshift parts, crankcases, cams, heads, barrels and pistons, shocks, dashboards, window winders, glass the list goes on and on.

I am very happy that VW are still making them, but they should in no way be compared to european built buses.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts