Volkszone Forum banner

Break Down Cover

363 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bobster 
#1 ·
I had break down cover previously with the AA called them out 3 times, once to tow me to a tyre garage as my wheel had burst and didn't have a spare : / (forgot to put it back in). - This was not car specific and the recovery plus (drop me and the car wherever i want nation wide) was a massive help more than anything mechanical they did.

I've just got my '73 bug and am gonna get break down cover as although I will be driving locally and just at weekends, I'm not gonna hesitate to drive down to see family in the south / visit the girlfriend whilst at home and mainly travel to shows.

Anyone got any recommendations? BreakDownDirect seem reallly cheap & good but they only cover cars 15 years or younger.. :(

#2 ·
I'm with the RAC and that covers me in any car which is the useful bit. I think it's about £80 a year which certainly aint the cheapest but I had them out two or three times last year so was well worth it.

There are some offered with your insurance so it may also be worth looking into those.

#3 ·
Mine is through my insurance (Peter best) the entire policy with mods to my van and full european breakdown cover, agreed value is only £180.

My last policy was with sureterm direct, had to call them out in the UK and Europe, no problems either time.

Adrian

#4 ·
I use the RAC, I jhave had great help and advise from them, I used them for my bug and my splitty, but 2 weeks ago I had a letter telling me I had reached my callout limit (5times) and any further call outs would be charged at at least £59 (i think) and that next year I may have a reduced number of callouts :( , I was a little surprised as I have got more than basic recovery, any way just keep count of how many times you use them haha, I am keeping my fingers well and truly crossed now until July when me cover is renewed that I don't break down.

#5 ·
***(STARDUST)*** said:
I use the RAC, I jhave had great help and advise from them, I used them for my bug and my splitty, but 2 weeks ago I had a letter telling me I had reached my callout limit (5times) and any further call outs would be charged at at least £59 (i think) and that next year I may have a reduced number of callouts :( , I was a little surprised as I have got more than basic recovery, any way just keep count of how many times you use them haha, I am keeping my fingers well and truly crossed now until July when me cover is renewed that I don't break down.
Cheers bud, I wasn't aware of this so I'll bear it in mind. Presumably the other option is to change to another company at renewal time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.