Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...dont plug in till activation date...which i dont know yet. :rolleyes: can i just plug the thing in and away to go? or will it bugger up the connection or something? am still using dial up...very tempted to just install it

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It won't work yet, if the ADSL kit has not yet been jumpered in the exchange you won't recieve signal, so it will not work. I'm sure you'll receive confirmation of your start date, if not just phone your service provider?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Your broadband modem should arrive the day after your ADSL line is activated. Just plug it in and try it. If it doesn't work you've lost nothing and won't damage anything (except if it's AOL then it probably won't work anyway ;) )

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
Shouldn't be any harm in plugging it in with the filter and line splitter etc...

It will just mean you usually have an orange light on the thing instead of a green one (when the line becomes active).

The two broadband providers I have used have recommended plugging in beforehand so I don't know why yours should be different.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no dice :(
plugged it all in...modem has green lights, pc says connected to remote computer and all that...but then when i try to log in it says invalid account name or password...DOH!

its with virgin net. just wondered as all the bumf says 'warning do not plug in until activation date' or something along those lines anyway..and the cd says the same when you go to install the modem.

ah well....looks like i'll have to just wait a few days...havent been this frustrated since christmas eve when i was a kid lol

·
Registered
853 Posts
If modem has green lights, chances are you should go back to the instructions as you've got a broadband connection - just needs setting up ( unless it's AOL when it just means you're in the queue to the helpline for the first time of many ;) )

·
Registered
25,882 Posts
i'm with virgin. little black modem with a light either side?

i was dead impatient with the connection date, but gotta be within 10 days. no harm in plugging it in and installing it and all that, but just won't be active account yet. when you get the date email try it then and see if you get any joy.

·
Banned
566 Posts
I work for a telecoms company commissioning ADSL lines, plugging it in will do no harm at all but you may experience loss on your phone line as the frequencies that the ADSL modem modulate at sometimes interfere with the voice frequencies. When the ADSL line is provisioned and a jumper is ran to the DSLAM a splitter card separates the frequencies and it works perfectly. This may be the reason your ISP has requested you not to plug it in but at the end of the day it will do no harm just to check the line to see if your DSL has been connected.

Hope you get online soon matey! :D

·
Registered
641 Posts
You should check your e-mail dude, It should tell you what the activation date is.

Then you know when its ready, unfortunately it is'nt as easy as saying hi, i'm here.

But its worth waiting for, however it can take 10 days to be up and running at a decent speed :hangloose

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Don't forget to put micro filters on all your telephone points or it won't work no matter what you do!

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks everyone! this place is brilliant...if vzi ever went down I'd be fooked!! i have green lights, and i think the line must be ready, just have to wait for them to activate the account at thier end...have checked email and they say it'll be good to go on monday ...wont be long now:D:):D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts