Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To cut the story short, I snapped a bolt off in my Polo engine, Bought one of these and its job done. The only stud extractors I've used that WORK if there isn't enough thread to get anything else on there.

So, Boa grab-it. Well worth the £20 for a small and large one.

http://www.boa-uk.com/boa_grabit.html

Well chuffed :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
I noticed those in the Frost catalogue and figured I'd add one to my next order. That beastie could really save the day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
LuAn said:
I noticed those in the Frost catalogue and figured I'd add one to my next order. That beastie could really save the day.
If the bolt is in tight enough that you can snap it while trying to take it off then how can drilling it just free it?

Surely if its stuck fast or say rusted in , would it not just break the new kit you have just bought?

Just a thought

Al

·
Registered
380 Posts
Frost actually list it as being for use with Posidrive/Phillips/Torx screws where you've torn up the head such that you can no longer get it out with a screwdriver.

I figure that with studs and bolts that have broken, the fact that they have broken will allow you to get penetrating oil further in than you could before they broke and be a little more gentle now that you know it's a problem bolt/stud.

If you can't get it out with one of these tools then you are more likely to mess up the new end that you made for the stud/bolt than you are to mess up the tool (which is much harder metal). In that case you are back to drilling out the remainder of the stud/bolt and re-tapping the thread (which is what you'd have to do anyway if you didn't have one of these).

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My experience tells me that if you drill throuhg most of the stud first, then the hole it creates gives its some flex and the head helps it come out a bit easier. I've used the cheap crappy stud extractors before and they have all broken, but this one actually does have some materials behind it and not snap off, even with some abuse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts